Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Today I.....

Woke up at an alarmingly late 8:30!

Felt like I was in my first trimester all over again, decided today would be a movie day

Put on some sweats, got Miles, got frustrated when he refused breakfast and all he wanted was to watch Tarzan.

Gave in, fed him bits of toast while we watched Tarzan for the one millionth time

Put my tennis shoes on, and laid on the ground waiting for Miles to come near enough to me that I could grab him and put his on.

Caught him. Strapped him in the bike trailer.

Rode "around the block" to visit sister Virgin. Was disappointed to find she wasn't there. Instead, Miles was entertained by the neighbors roosters, chickens, dogs and cats. Not to mention the number of cows we passed while riding.

Thought to myself, "I kind of like the smell of manure. Wait a second...what??" Decided it was just the style of living and the areas of the country where you smell cow manure that I like.

Got ambitious, made an effort to be a good mom and pulled out the cookie tray, layered it with corn meal and traced shapes with Miles.

He loved it for 2 minutes. Next activity.

Got even more ambitious and pulled out finger paints for the very first time. Loved it even more. Lasted 4 minutes.

I wanted to keep finger painting, but wanted Miles to have nap time even more, so I stuffed some lunch down the kid and laid him down. Breathed a sigh of relief when he didn't fight it and actually looked tired. Shouted Hallelujah when he fell asleep without a bink at naptime.

Read some scriptures etc, read some Mockingjay. Felt guilty that I read Mockingjay longer than the scriptures.

Went to the bathroom again. 99th time of the day and counting.

Did some office work for the storage units, then began painting. (The owners have "hired" us to paint the entire front area so that's where all of our free time has been going lately)

Squished myself into a corner between a toilet and a wall to try and tape off some floorboards and thought, "That is not going to be fun to paint."

Miles wakes up, we take Richie some food at work, we go to Wal-Mart and buy toilet paper and drano since Richie tells me that something may very well have crawled into our pipes and died in the bathroom because it smells so bad. You'll just have to trust me, it really does smell that bad.

Score a clearance Elmo potty book that has sound buttons for $2 and the least girly looking baby doll for $4 so that Miles can start getting used to the idea.

He immediately takes it, smothers it in root beer sucker kisses and points out facial features.

I grin like an idiot and think I have the best root beer sucker covered child in the world.

Come home, let Miles watch a movie, clean up the house so it appears to Richie as if its been like this all day. He's never fooled.

Heat up some left overs, let Miles play bubbles in the sink while I read more Mockingjay. Dang book controlling my life. Richie leaves for seminary classes and I sigh inwardly.

Don't feel like doing anything super fun. Takes too much energy. Play some toys with Miles, do some dishes.

Miles discovers the potty book and falls in love. When I ask him if he wants to go potty, he lights up and runs for the potty. (He hasn't liked it much these days, so I'm shocked and think I may have just spent the best $2 of my life.)

Bath time. Yes! Read more mockingjay. Miles wants to sing. I sing every song from nursery that he knows including the chorus to follow the prophet 23 times. When I say that song is all done he's very distraught and asks for another one. I can't understand him, but he's being very specific. I'm frustrated, he's frustrated, bad situation. Distract him with a towel.

Out of the bathtub, into pajamas, brush teeth, scriptures, (which he actually sits for since I'm reading it to the baby) put him down, don't give him a bink, listen to him cry himself to sleep again as I blog.

Now what to do....Painting or Mockingjay????

10 comments:

Becca said...

Mockingjay!!!

Linny said...

i LOVE how similar to my day that sounds

The Pingel Family said...

You are so funny! I loved this post. We had a frustrating day at our house too. Gotta love it. I went through the same thing with my scriptures/mockingjay reading. I always had guilt when I knew my reading of worldly books outweighed my scripture time! I like that you at least TRY to do cool stuff like fingerpaint. I haven't been that daring yet with my kids. Perhaps it's time...:)

Grandma and Grandpa Crosby said...

I guess.....like mother like daughter! Erma and I fingered painted the other day! but it kept her busy for at least 15 minutes!

One of your best posts ever!

Question........What is Mockingjay?

Kara said...

Loved your post. My life will be COMPLETELY different three months from now!

Does this mean I can paint the baby's room? Our paint is low-VOC, but I figured it was not something that you're supposed to do when you're pregnant.

Rachel said...

Mom- Mockingjay is the third and final book in the "Hunger Games" series.
Kara- I don't know about painting while you're pregnant. I figured as long as I kept the area well ventilated it would be fine. You could also wear one of those face masks to help. But ask your doctor for sure. I tend to be on the lenient side when it comes to things like this. :)

One Opinionated Housewife said...

I envy your energy, Rach, and I remember being like that with Zadi. Unfortunately, I am not that way with Jo.
I agree with your mom about that being one of your best posts.
Hey, when will we see you again?

The Wallace Family said...

Read the post aloud to Taysom, Ilah and Henry. We all giggled! Super cute post :) "Today I... went to school and had parent teacher conferences until 8pm" Your day was sooooo much more interesting.

Brian and Stacy said...

Oh Mockingjay for sure. The sooner you get it done, the sooner you won't feel guilty about reading it longer than your scriptures. :) I always feel that way too!

Way to go on getting so much accomplished! I feel accomplished if I get ready in the day!

Wii are the Nelsons said...

Posts like these are great to document!
Don't feel too bad about reading the scriptures less. I think it takes more effort and energy to ponder about what you read there over a fiction book so it's easier to read a fiction book because it doesn't take a lot of effort to get through it, easier reading. Good job for reading your scriptures twice in one day =D
Hope that potty training book helps!

September 2022

Benson turns 6! He requested a chocolate and strawberry cake where candy spills out of it. :) We went swimming at the rec center, Gwen made ...