Wednesday, October 13, 2010

See Rach Sew!

Sew Rach, Sew!
Sewing does not come naturally to me, so every small accomplishment is celebrated! And I'm going to celebrate these 2 things on the blog!

Mr./Mrs. Potato Head
I saw this idea on Make it and Love it a while back. When I tried to find it again, it had been removed for copyright issues, so I kind of winged this one. I looked at a picture online of an actual Mr. Potato Head, cut out all the pieces, let them sit in the laundry room for 3-4 weeks (always an important step), got up enough motivation to finish, cut out the batting, sewed it all, then added velcro. There is a pouch on the back that's supposed to hold all the pieces, but it's way too small. It's just made out of cheap felt and I hand stitched most of it since it was easier that way. I figured the entire project cost me less than $8. Not bad for a Christmas present eh? I realized I could go overboard on this project and make all sorts of Mr. Potato Head versions. Like a doctor, a nerd, a teacher etc.... But for now, I'll just stick with Mr. and Mrs.







Bike Trailer Neck Cover Thingys

I also saw this on Make it an Love it. Whenever we take Miles in the bike trailer he comes home with welts on his neck from the straps rubbing. Ta-Da! Solution. I made 2 sets for when we have another one riding with Miles in there. I had some left over fabric from a blanket my mom made Miles, left over velcro and batting from Mr. Potato head. All I had to buy was some bias tape. I've decided that whatever the directions say for how long it should take, I need to triple that, and then it will be about accurate. My versions NEVER turn out like the professionals do, but then I guess that's why they are pros and I am still learning.

6 comments:

The Wallace Family said...

Those are such great ideas! :) I've been sewing a little bit as well (because one of my classes in school is sewing) and I've really enjoyed it :) I am almost finished with my pajama pants! I'm so excited! I love you guys :)

Taysom

Unknown said...

Oh wow! You're inspiring! I have been wondering what homemade type things I could do for Christmas this year and these are such cute ideas! Thanks! And, great job BTW. :)

mylyn wood said...

that is adorable! great job!

One Opinionated Housewife said...

First, awesome blossom. Second, I noticed that you are reading some parenting books and I thought about a concept that I learned from a parenting book that made a huge difference for me.
Instead of putting things out of reach that toddlers should not play with, simply tell them "no" in a firm tone (firm, not mean). Eventually, they will learn not to touch with things that are not meant to be played with, and they will learn to respect you all at the same time. Oh, and the concept really does work.

Wii are the Nelsons said...

Fabulous job! You have way more pieces than me too. Love your strap covers too. So what's next to make =D

Grandma and Grandpa Crosby said...

Way cute! Proud of you! Keep at it and one of these days it will come naturally.

September 2022

Benson turns 6! He requested a chocolate and strawberry cake where candy spills out of it. :) We went swimming at the rec center, Gwen made ...