Friday, October 1, 2010

I can't deny it any longer...

It really is fall! I've been trying to squeeze every last drop out of summer possible, but the leaves are changing colors, the temperatures are lower and there is that crispness in the air. Not that I was dreading fall or anything. Quite the opposite, fall is my favorite time of year. However, fall means that winter is just right around the corner and last winter about killed my soul...so... Anyway, I got anxious the other day and decided to put up fall decor. I designated all nap time for the occasion and was sorely disappointed when my mounds of fall decor added up to a mere box and scantily filled a shelf. Boo. So I waited a few days more and then added the Halloween stuff too. I felt like I was jumping the gun, but it adds much richness and it's always fun to mix things up a bit. I still don't have a ton of decor, but guess what? We don't have a ton of apartment either so it works well. Some personal favorites this year include the off color pumpkins from our garden (I may do something special with the ones out front...we'll see) and the advent calendar my sister-in-law made me last Christmas. I can finally use it! It's for Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas too!





In other news, how about a book review? I just finished reading "The Undaunted" by Gerald Lund. In a nutshell, it was everything I expected from Brother Lund. Inspiring pioneer story (although a bit too detailed in places for my taste), a character's inner struggle with the gospel, and a love story, in which he thinks he has tricked you, but I knew from the very beginning who David was going to fall for. Can't fool me Gerald. And yes, it was typical, but his typical is always entertaining to me. It was a page turner and I felt like I flew through it. Maybe a part of my keen interest in the book was because it was about 'my peeps' down in southern Utah. Maybe not St. George peeps necessarily, but all the talk of red rock, heat and sand made me feel proud to have some of that red dirt in my blood. I would definitely recommend it!

HAPPY CONFERENCE WEEKEND! How are you 'celebrating'? I'm making some stews and soups to freeze for later. I've heard you can freeze almost any soup! I never feel like cooking anymore, so I've got a feeling they'll come in handy.

5 comments:

Shelley said...

I love the decor!! You sure do have a knack for that kind of thing.

One Opinionated Housewife said...

Anytime I have thawed soup that I froze, it didn't turn out well. If you have a better experience, let me know.
Fall for you is like Spring for me, I dread it b/c I know that summer is just around the corner.
I haven't put any of my fall stuff out b/c it is still 100 degrees outside, and it just doesn't feel like fall at all. I so want to start wearing long sleeves, boots, and making hot chocolate for the kids. Boo hoo.

Grandma and Grandpa Crosby said...

Loving conference! Isn't it wonderful how it comes just when we need that special uplift!

Even though we're still getting temps up to 100 degrees I've started putting out fall stuff too, because early in the morning and in the evenings, you can feel...or at least imagine...fall in the air. I even painted a pumpkin today while watching the first session of conference. It was one I bought last year, but the original faux painting on it really needed some serious help.

Your decorations are way cute!

Want another inexpensive idea to decorate outside? A neighbor down the street has made a "garland" out of black garbage bags. It looks like they cut the bags about 5 inches wide and in 2 foot lengths and then folded and secured them somehow over a line. It stretches the full length of their home and flutters with the breeze. (If you want I'll take a picture and e-mail it to you.) If we still had children at home I'd be making one myself!

Makenna said...

you got way more decor than me, and much more tasteful :) thanks for the credit, but i think you could have designed it better than me. that ghost is REALLY cool!

Becca said...

Fall is my favorite season too, but after experiencing a real Midwest winter last year I'm definitely nervous. We are already in sweaters here.
It will be nice for both of us to visit SG during the Christmas break. :)

September 2022

Benson turns 6! He requested a chocolate and strawberry cake where candy spills out of it. :) We went swimming at the rec center, Gwen made ...