Saturday, May 1, 2010

No Creative Title Ideas

Maybe I'm compulsive this way, but I like every post to have a specific theme. It seems like lately, all my posts have been a little bit of this and a little bit of that, and I guess I'll just have to cope. In the mean time, you don't get any witty post titles full of clever puns...

A favorite thing that I did this week was make myself a little flower garden. Some flowers that we started were getting too big for their start box, so I took some old ice cream and yogurt containers and old cans, watered down some glue, painted it on the containers, and then stuck some paper around them. So easy, but I'm totally smitten. I placed them on our enormous windowsill and feel like I helped beautify a teeny-tiny corner of the world.



Older than Miles age kids would get this more, but Miles still got a kick out of it. I did it with my 1st graders when I was student teaching to help them with their spelling words in a more tactile way. Just sprinkle some salt, sand, corn meal, anything grainy on a pan, and let them go to town! I tried tracing letters with Miles, but he was more interested in just playing with it. Totally fine. But it's way more fun if you can get it out of the pan and all over the floor right?




We took Miles to a play place thing in Rexburg on Friday night. Don't let this picture fool you, he got to really like it after the first time through. It was something new, and that is always a nice feeling.



I swear I didn't put him up to this. I walked in, and there he was, scrubbing our toilets. "Cinderelly! Cinderelly!" He thought it was quite entertaining, and hey, I can't complain. Ok, I need some suggestions. When he was about 11 months, he went through a short-lived hitting phase. It subsided gradually, but our sweet little boy has been taken captive by a controlling, demanding, parrot of a 15 month old. ??? He just picked up "No!" except it sounds like "Mo! MOMOMOMOMOMO MO!" While furrowing his brow and shaking his finger at us. He also likes to hit us with golf balls and kick us in the tummy while changing his diaper. He's very determined and gets this certain look on his face like "I'm going to get what I want. Go ahead, try and stop me." How do you deal with this???

9 comments:

Katie said...

Love the question about hitting, etc. No answers here! Raleigh just grew out of the hitting/kicking and now he's moved onto the whining stage. This too shall pass....

Alex, Orchid, Layla, & Leo Christensen said...

ba ha ha lol miles is just cute!

Becca said...

Just don't laugh when they do it, that usually just makes the problem worse. ;)

One Opinionated Housewife said...

I've never been good with toddlers, so I don't have any advice. I'm certain that whatever you and Richie are doing as parents is better than whatever I have done in the past with my kids.

Grandma and Grandpa Crosby said...

Grandpa was so pleased to see the pics of Miles cleaning the toilet! He refers to Miles now as... "A man after my own heart!"

Wish we could help you with Miles' most recent behavior issues, but I can't remember what we did. What did Cleon Skousen say about it in his book, How to Raise a Boy?

Wii are the Nelsons said...

It's so hard thinking of new titles!
Love your plants and your paper on them.
Sorry no tips. You could try to tell him that hurts you, but I'm just not sure if they get it yet.
I'm more in trouble with James...he's been headlocking kids when he wants something from them. He did at the play group after you left I think. Oh and I'm just glad if James won't try to run away when I change his diaper.

Joci said...

Sounds like Miles and Levi are the same breed. I got worried too. But I was told by many people that them saying "No" is really great for them developmentally. BUT, I still didn't like it, so I made sure to pay attention to things I could say yes to and to od my head while I was doing it. He caught on eventually.

Ha ha! I love it all! I'm just glad to hear my kid's not the only bully around. He started hitting as well. In fact the day he turned 15 months, I seriously thought someone swapped my sweet baby for a terrible toddler. I guess it just happens. bummer.

Tanner Family said...

What play place did you take him to? That place doesn't look familiar.

Rachel said...

We took him to that new place called "The craze" down college avenue I think. It has laser tag, mini glow in the dark golf, pizza place etc. Going to the play place only cost $3!

September 2022

Benson turns 6! He requested a chocolate and strawberry cake where candy spills out of it. :) We went swimming at the rec center, Gwen made ...