Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Heres to the lasts and the firsts

Since mid-April we knew we would be moving sometime in the summer. So we started bumming boxes off people and out of stores and started packing the "unessentials". This morning the moving company surprised me in my pajamas. I asked them what they were here for since we weren't moving until tomorrow. They said they were here to pack us up! Oh how I wish that had been communicated a little better! We were under the impression that it would cost us extra to have them pack us up, so we opted to do it ourselves. Doh! They had to re-pack everything we had packed for insurance purposes. Although frustrating, it's been really nice sitting back watching them finish things up, freeing up our time to go to the park! It's also left some open time to reminisce. On our way home from the park today, we scouted for lady bugs in the grass like we always do. I realized it was probably the last time we'd do so, and I got a little sad...about finding lady bugs in the Rexburg grass. Here's to the lasts and the firsts.

Lasts-
*We had our last trip to Porter Park today. For a person who loves people watching as much as I do, living across the street from the most popular park in Rexburg has been heavenly, for more reasons than one. It is incredibly convenient to say, "It doesn't look too crowded over there. Ok, let's go to the park!" And then walk across the street! Or, "Richie, the kids are driving me nuts, can you walk the path with them while I make dinner?" Check. I LOVE living across from a park. As for the people watching aspect, I've seen one proposal, 1 assumed proposal (I was watching from the kitchen, so I couldn't quite tell, but it had all the signs), millions upon millions of couples making out, (they think they are shaded from the park's view when they come behind trees, but that just gives me a front row show from my living room! HA! Jokes on you guys!), ultimate frisbee, football, soccer, lacrosse,slack-lining, unicycling, kickball, baseball, hammock-ing tennis, basketball, long-boarding (oh, so much long boarding), skate boarding, rip sticking, rollerblading, pretend sword fighting complete with costumes, roller-skating, tanning, bicycling and Quidditch. Yup, quidditch. We have found phones, necklaces, tampons (gross), condoms (double gross), abandoned balls, and about a billion kites stuck in trees. We get to watch all sorts of parenting styles in action. Including ignoring strangers when they tell you your kid has poop running out of his shorts and it's getting on the playground equipment. Yikes. I am officially a germ freak now. We've had fun watching squirrels, birds, dogs, cats and ferrets who frequent the park. I've witnessed some of the best and worst flirting, made some great mommy friends, and loved every time I walk by a group of college girls as I stroll my two toe-headed children by and I overhear them all "ooohing and ahhing" over my adorable children. Yes, they really are that adorable. :) The park has been the best part of this apartment. And makes the list of things I will miss most about Eastern Idaho.

*We've had our last play dates with beloved friends.


*I had my last "girl's night" with Taysom and my friend Megan.
*Last Sunday dinner at the Christensens.


*Last time running errands around in town in the stroller
*Last time doing coin operated laundry!! WAHOO!!! Oh laundromat, how I loathe thee.
*Last weekly dinner with Taysom. It also happened to be our anniversary that day, so we went and got some snow cones to celebrate. She had leftover water balloons from a ward activity and a kite, so the kids had a blast! We technically already celebrated our anniversary, and with everything going on, the actual day got kind of lost in the shuffle. But I did manage to sneak a candy bar into his car, and Richie gave me a pedicure after the kids went to bed.

*Last "me time" at the gym. Boo.
*Last Sunday in the ward, in which I had to speak in sacrament meeting!
*Last time moving for a LONG time, thank goodness.

Rexburg has been so good to us, it's hard to leave. But we are looking forward to all the many firsts! Such as:
*First night in the new home and listening to all the new sounds and creaks that we're not used to.
*First time getting lost going somewhere (not really looking forward to this at all)
*First time meeting new neighbors
*First time making new friends
*First meals made in our new home
*First time going to IKEA just because it's 5 minutes away!!
*First time going to visit G&G Garner 5 minutes away, first time visiting G&G Crosby only 4 hours away now!

We've never made a major move like this before, so it's hard knowing that we won't be a quick drive away from our good friends, even if we move. In fact, there's no foreseeable excuses for us to make a trip to Rexburg any time, and that makes me sad. It's kind of the same feeling I get when I chop my hair really short. It's super exciting, but I feel like my comfort blanket has been ripped away. I'm sure there will be grass with ladybugs to find in Riverton and good friends to make. Here we go!!







4 comments:

Torgersons said...

Here's to a new and very exciting adventure! Yay!

Bre and Bobbie said...

Wow it sounds like the park has treated you well. I makes me think of all my fond memories there. I hope you and your family the best in your new home.

The Wallace Family said...

You made me feel all sentimental! I cried the last night in our Vegas home... cried like a baby!

Grandma and Grandpa Crosby said...

Most of us can relate on some level. So glad your memories of Idaho will be happy ones. Your Riverton "chapter" likewise will be filled with wonderful adventures for sure. We'll be remembering you in our prayers.

September 2022

Benson turns 6! He requested a chocolate and strawberry cake where candy spills out of it. :) We went swimming at the rec center, Gwen made ...