Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Oh yes, we did

Just in case you're interested, I added some pictures to the last post. Now that we finally have the internet and I found our camera, I can do cool things like that.

Well you've probably already figured this out, but we're here in Utah now! The movers came and packed us up, and we spent all night finishing the cleaning check-list like good little renters. We cleaned all those things you would probably never clean in your own house like the window tracks and sweeping behind the fridge. Richie actually did most of the cleaning. What a guy eh? Can you find his feet in all that mess? He's scrubbing behind the fridge.


The next day, we had arranged for the kids to go to a friends house so that we could direct the movers, but after we dropped them off and came to help, there was absolutely nothing for us to do. It was crazy! We'd never had a moving experience like this before. We actually went to the park and played frisbee while 2 guys with mustaches and beer bellies moved our belongings into the truck. A little while later the check-out lady came to make sure we did our duty. We cleaned extra hard so that we'd get our deposit back. I'll spare you all the obnoxious details, but needless to say she was one of the most unpleasant people I'd ever met. She gave our place a glance and told me we wouldn't be getting any of our deposit back and that our apartment was so dirty, they'd have to have professionals come for at least 8 hours. I gave her the keys and told her to leave and started crying. I'd done fairly well holding back the tears as I said goodbye to friends, but that was the last straw. When Richie came back with the kids later and asked what happened, I explained. He shared a few choice words with "the check-out lady" that he wishes he didn't and we hit the road. It was so much more difficult to rip myself from our little apartment than I expected.

Richie drove the van with the kids and I had the Corolla all to myself. Grateful for the alone time, I cried. I thought about how fitting it was that 6 years ago, I drove that Corolla stuffed to the top with all of my college necessities, to the foreign land of Rexburg. I was so sad to leave home, I cried the entire 45 minutes to Cedar City until I could control myself. I listened to The Format almost the entire way up. 6 years, 1 college degree, 1 husband, and 2 kids later I'm driving the same car, packed to the top, crying, to a different foreign land called Riverton.

While we finalized things for the house, we stayed with Richie's folks for about a week. We were so grateful we didn't have to juggle 2 kids in a hotel for a week and eat out every meal. What a blessing! While we were there, we were able to attend the temple with everyone when Jacob went through for the first time. It was a tender experience and we were grateful to share in it.

7 comments:

Grandma and Grandpa Crosby said...

Yay! You're back in Utah and settled in your very own home! And yes that little Corolla has been through a lot with you......like a good and loyal friend!

Congrats to Jacob!

See you soon!

Adrienne said...

Rachel - you are amazing! Thanks for calling this morning...I swear I would have eventually called you, like maybe right before Mom and Dad were leaving with the boys. he, he, he..... I am horrible at keeping in touch and I'm sorry. Thanks for letting the boys come for the night - if you change your mind let me know, it will be just fine. I love, love, love your posts and am so glad that you have made the move successfully! It made me so mad to read about the lady at your old apartment!!! I loved the pictures and your look great in all of them, but i especially loved the one of you at the temple - you looked gorgeous!!!

Kayla said...

I wanna kick your old land lord lady in the butt! what a nightmare. sorry that you had to deal with that! Hope everything is going great for you guys! Last night as we were getting ready for bed... i said to thomas.. you know who i miss...? richie and rachel! Your are so totally awesome, i miss you! and your cute kids!

Makenna said...

why do landlords always have to be jerks? but HOORAY! you have a house and never have to deal with that for the next 10 years? :) It looks like good changes, although change is hard to do. Leaving is so hard. I'm really going to miss our friends who've been our family here. and Gosh darn it, the places you worked so hard to call home :( I can't wait to see what you'll do with you new house though!

Torgersons said...

I hate the whole "I have to clean like a mad person to get my deposit back" and then not getting the deposit back experience. Same thing happened to us. I'm pretty sure it's the landlord's way of making more bucks because our apartment was SPOTLESS. I'm sure yours was too. If we don't get our deposit back, who the heck does? Nobody, that's who. Welcome to northern Utah! Oh, and your children's white hair is to die for.

The Wallace Family said...

I've been waiting to hear about the move. Loved the post and pics. Remind me next time I see you to tell you about our duplex landlord. Ugh! Almost went to court.

Shelley said...

I'm so mad about the apartment lady. This last move we made we didn't even clean very well because we heard from others they don't give it back anyway. UGGH!! Just a little side fact...you look really skinny :)!! I'm so excited to hear about Utah and how the house and everything is there.

September 2022

Benson turns 6! He requested a chocolate and strawberry cake where candy spills out of it. :) We went swimming at the rec center, Gwen made ...