Thursday, March 4, 2010

Modge Podge Post

I had a few random things to post about today.

Book Review:

I recently finished reading "Leadership Education" by Rachel and Oliver Demille. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who interested in home schooling, or just making their home more conducive to nurturing a great education. It's written by LDS parents who home-school their 8 children; the basis of the book is how everyone who has been or is in the public school system, has gotten a "conveyer belt" type education. They want to help educators and parents turn away from this style and help give children a true leadership education by giving our children the tools they need to think for themselves and to love learning. As with any educational book, you have to think of how their suggestions will fit into your family and then adapt the things you agree with in the best way possible for your particular situation. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book, and look forward to reading it again and again.

Project!


While the Garners were here, Richie's mom helped me make some bean bags with some left over fabric and old pop corn kernels. How fun right?! We made squares, circles, stars, hearts and rectangles. Some were big and some were small, and they all had different colors and patterns. He LOVES the fuzzy one. That didn't surprise me. I had a left over oatmeal container, so Miles and I painted it, and all of his new bean bags fit perfectly inside! Too bad he's already destroyed the twine on the outside. :)

Miles:

As messy as ever! My friend Megan came over to visit and brought us some delectable brownies. They were a bit messy as you can see. You can also see Miles' typical reaction when the sweets are all gone. He can now fold his arms for prayer and 'says' amen. He can also 'say' Jesus when we point to His picture. Unfortunately, he thinks every picture is Jesus; including pictures of himself.

Mormon Message:
It's been a while since I've posted one of these, and I thought it was about time. I especially like this one because I do like to create! But it's something I get to continually work at and practice. It reminds me that to create is not just something you do for fun, but something you exercise, nurture and develop because you were created by the most creative being ever and it is central to our happiness.

6 comments:

One Opinionated Housewife said...

I eagerly await the Stay at Home Mom's Survival Guide by the ever so talented Rachel Crosby Garner. I am sure it will be a Deseret Books best seller.

Sarah said...

That is so funny that Miles thinks every picture is Jesus because Anna thinks every picture is da da because since Nathan is away I always show her pictures of him and say da da and she even thinks the prophets picture is da da now.

Katie said...

I'm glad you posted a book review, I really want to read that one! I am really intrigued by homeschooling. So funny, Raleigh points out Jesus everywhere too! It's either Jesus or Elmo, haha!

Grandma and Grandpa Crosby said...

Hmmmm, I think I recognize the fabric for your bean bags. Cute stuff; fabric AND bean bags! The oatmeal container too! Nice work!

Thanks for the Mormon Message. I loved that talk, and needed the reminder.

Love, mom

Makenna said...

I like how you're taking the picture of Miles as he complains about no more desert :) Good job at finishing the book! I am still 1/4 into it, got distracted on a book for a book club Ian and I are in. And I love the bean bags!

Alex, Orchid, Layla, & Leo Christensen said...

This is such a beautiful post. Love you Rach.

September 2022

Benson turns 6! He requested a chocolate and strawberry cake where candy spills out of it. :) We went swimming at the rec center, Gwen made ...