Monday, September 14, 2009

Miles is sure growing up! He can't fluidly crawl yet, but is sure getting around. The other day I left him in the living room for a second and when I came back in, he was head first into his toy bucket with his little, chubby legs sticking out and kicking like crazy. I tried to take a picture, but he got upset. Man, that was funny.


Anyway, Jenn, here is that soup recipe I was talking about the other day. Anyone interested in a fairly quick, cheap and yummy meal here is the recipe for:

Italian Vegetable Soup

Sweet Basil
Garlic Powder
Oregano
Parmesan
Parsley
Marjoram
Rosemary
Thyme

Tomato Soup- family size can
Stewed Tomatoes - 2 cans drained
Potatoes - 1-2 cut into bite sized chunks
Carrots- sliced
Celery-sliced
Zucchini- sliced, then cut slices in half
S&P
Small Shell Pasta

Dump the tomato soup into a large pot. Add 1 can water- add more if needed ( up to half a can). Stir on medium heat. Cut veggies and add to soup, in this order: Potatoes, carrots, celery, zucchini and tomatoes. Add spices; season to taste. Spices are listed in the order of the largest amount to the smallest. Use a lot of 1st 4 and small amounts of the last 4. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cook until veggies are almost done, then add shell pasta.

I don't follow this recipe exactly, but either way it will turn out yummy. I don't like stewed tomatoes, so I add diced. I usually do small shell pasta also and FYI, you usually only need to use half a bag of pasta. I always make breadsticks to go with it. YUMMY!

6 comments:

Grandma and Grandpa Crosby said...

That's an adorable picture of Miles! Too bad part of the saying on his shirt is lost in the fold. I think the whole thing reads "I'm kind of a big deal in Utah"? And that's the truth!

Thanks for the recipe!

Becca said...

I LOVE healthy simple recipes like this, thanks! I would love for you to post some more!

Makenna said...

I concur with the Crosby Grandparents; that picture of Miles is worthy of awards! He is the cutest!

The Wallace Family said...

Thanks Rachel! I can't wait to try the recipe - And ditto to G&G and Makenna - Miles is the CUTEST ;)

The Wallace Family said...

P.S. We need the breadstick recipe too.

Rachel said...

The Breadstick recipe is from Richie's mom:

1 C flour
1/4 C sugar
1 t salt
1 T yeast
1 C Hot Water
1/4 c shortening
*Mix 1 minute
add 1 egg, beat 2 minutes
add 1/2 C flour, mix 2 minutes
add 1 1/4 C -1 1/2 C flour and mix well until it pulls away
Mix 10 minutes
Roll it out
put melted butter, parmesan cheese and seasoning salt on top.
Raise 10 minutes
bake at 425 for 9 minutes

September 2022

Benson turns 6! He requested a chocolate and strawberry cake where candy spills out of it. :) We went swimming at the rec center, Gwen made ...