Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Hey Mom Garner- Check this out....AGAIN!

I have a friend here who recently learned how to can from her grandma and she invited to teach me a little. So I bought a bunch of peaches and pears from an old farmer sitting on the back of his truck. The picture couldn't have been more perfect. He was wearing blue and white striped overalls, a cap, had some teeth missing and was nice enough to teach me how to can! Anyway, I spent the better part of the day over at Angie's house and canned me a bunch of peaches!! Wahoo! The pears aren't quite ready, so we'll be doing those later. I just felt so homemaker-ish! Fall is in the air, I'm canning...I don't know.

We are pretty creative about where we put our food storage, but we do have more room in this apartment, so I reorganized some things so that in a few months here when mice start coming into our apartment (eek!) they won't get our food. We have some long plastic bins under our bed with extra stuff we buy from the store, we have boxes of food storage that we bought from a company called "Daily Bread" and they are all pre-maid meals and have a shelf life of forever and we keep them between our washer and dryer, and then I started utilizing a card table for the rest of this delicious-ness. Go me!


As for Mr. Miles:

He likes long walks on asphalt trails near potato and grain fields, climbing up EVERYTHING including the toilet, the opening theme song to ANY show, (It will leave him completely mesmerized, so it's a good time to wipe his nose), and screaming like his parents are beating him when they change his diaper. He seeks a woman who can keep him on his schedule, has nice hair to play with, and plays peek-a-boo when he wakes up from a nap. (Unfortunately, this position has already been filled by his mommy. :) )

10 comments:

Joci said...

Awesome Rachel! I want to be just like you some day and can really yummy peaches! I love the bum shot! Perfect! Hope all is well with your cute adorable family!

One Opinionated Housewife said...

You will have to teach me how to can, and as for Miles, I love the pic.

D&C Garner Fam said...

Rachel, I am so proud of you! I've been trying to figure out how to get up there and teach you to can. I even purchased another canner so I could give you one of mine. Did I give you a pear corer? It is a small blue handled gizmo that take the cores of the pears. If you don't have one let me know and I will send you one. Way to go on the scrap book. It looks wonderful. I'm sure Richie enjoys looking at it. Give Miles kisses for me. We all miss him like crazy! Love, Mom

Tyler and Sheree said...

Wow! I'm impressed with your canning skills. Christy still hopes some day I'll become a canner! That little Miles seriously needs some kisses and that fat butt needs a spank! Let me! Let me!

Grandma and Grandpa Crosby said...

Mea culpa! Yes, I'm guilty...not only of not teaching you to can, but of not liking to can! I'm not really sure why, but the love of canning gene skipped me. Your grandmother Hinckley canned hundreds of jars of every kind of fruit each fall, and each jar was a work of art! I loved how they looked lined up on the pantry shelves. So, I'm very glad that you are carrying on the tradition. I hope you will follow her example in all your homemaking skills!

The Hoffmans said...

Ok really, it must be a stage babies go through because Hunter did the same thing. The whole screaming like he has been beat when he got his diaper changed. It was awful. But he hasnt for a while so there is hope. Hang in there.

Shelley said...

He is such a cutie!! And I didn't know you did canning too. You and Angie are awesome!

Becca said...

I made your Italian Vegetable Soup for dinner tonight. It was sooo good!! Thanks again for the recipe. Good job with the food storage and canning. It feels so good doesn't it. Love the tush!!

Kate said...

He looks just like his dad!!! lol, joke!

Makenna said...

wow! You're ahead of me girl! Ian and I both laughed heartily at the miles picture :)

September 2022

Benson turns 6! He requested a chocolate and strawberry cake where candy spills out of it. :) We went swimming at the rec center, Gwen made ...