Sunday, November 2, 2008

Halloween vs Diabetes

I've been meaning to post so many things for so long now. I apologize. Time is just....short these days.
Well, I've been telling some people about the bats we made in my first grade class, so here are some pictures of how they turned out. The kids LOVED making them and they are so easy! A friend of mine gave me the link to find the instructions, but we did them a bit differently.

1. find an old, clean, black sock. Cut it off to make your bat however long you want.
2. Stuff the sock with batting and safety pin it closed at the end.
3. We used googley eyes for the eyes, and black and white felt for the mouth and wings in class. When Richie and I made them we used foam for the wings, which I liked better. I just made a pattern for the wings and mouth and had the kids cut them out. All these things are then hot glued on.
4. You only need 1 black pipe cleaner for one bat. Cut it in half, then cut the halves in thirds. Hot glue them on to the bottom and then curl them once they have dried.
Richie and I made them for FHE this week for Halloween and they turned out awesome. Even though it was a craft, I think Richie really liked doing it :) We watched Mr. Toad's Wild Ride and the old Headless Horseman with Bing Crosby as the narrator while we made them. fun fun fun.


So on Halloween, we had some really good friends of ours, Mike and Megan, invite us over to have a little Halloween shin-dig. There was another couple there and we all brought food, so between the 6 of us, there was a lot of food to be consumed. I did my fair share of helping 'dispose' of the plentiful food, especially the sweets. :) The next morning I woke up and realized I was going to the doctor's that day to be tested for gestational diabetes. Hmmm..."Not smart" I thought to myself, "to pig out on sugar the night before a diabetes test." But no worries. All is well, Halloween won and I don't have diabetes! Wahoo! He actually said my level was very low and that everything was progressing perfectly. Exactly what I wanted to hear. :) We're SO excited that it's almost painful!!
Hope everyone's Halloween was awesome!

2 comments:

Becca said...

Your comment made me laugh. I think that was the same day we both learned what "between a rock and a hard place" means. hahaha! The sad thing is that you were okay you were barely in highschool. I was in college!!!

Adrienne said...

Rach and Richie! I am incredibly excited to see you. I'm glad your bats turned out so good and that you don't have gestational diabetes. I hope things are going good with your class and that its not too stressful. Miss you guys - A LOT!
Love, A and family

September 2022

Benson turns 6! He requested a chocolate and strawberry cake where candy spills out of it. :) We went swimming at the rec center, Gwen made ...