Friday, April 13, 2012

Going into labor

The process to get hired as a seminary teacher takes about a year and a half, not 9 months like a pregnancy, but we've noticed some shocking similarities between the two. Just like your body works overtime when you're pregnant, Richie worked extra hard trying to improve his teaching skills and we worked extra hard as a family to become the type of people the church would want to hire. Our nerves have been stretched to their limit not knowing if all this effort would result in an actual job. I feel like all our nervous energy has been bloated to it's full extent, also like a prego belly, yes?

We were told April 12th was the soonest we would know. Our due date, if you will. Thursday came and went without any news whatsoever. We were officially over-due and that means that we were then allowed to get REALLY anxious and start complaining. Just like that last little bit in a pregnancy, sleeping got really difficult, we were all more on edge, we felt like we couldn't breathe, etc etc etc. This morning Richie called me and told me that the area directors wanted to meet with not just him, but all of us in one hour down in Rigby. This is where I imagined it like we were going into labor. All of a sudden, this moment you've been waiting for for an eternity is set in motion, and then you're not sure if you want it to happen! It's a little scary, it might hurt and you're probably going to cry. I rushed around like a chicken without a head and got ready, got the kids in the car, sped subconsciously, got my hands to stop shaking and met a pacing Richie outside the seminary building. We met with the two area directors in a room, and they got it over with nice and quick, like a band-aid. They talked mostly to Miles and then asked him to tell us "Congratulations"! We got hired!! I'm pretty sure if there are any sudden gusts of wind in your area today, it's us breathing sighs of relief. Seriously, all day I've been walking around deflating. At least that's what it feels like. We plan on going to get some ice cream as a family tonight to celebrate. The directors also told Richie that he'd better take me out for diner, or else. I think I'll hold him to that.

We don't know where we will be placed except that it won't be in Eastern Idaho, which is kind of a bittersweet situation. We'll find out by mid-May where we'll need to move to. We're not sure how many got hired, but they did tell us that we were on the top of the list and some of the first to find out. The past few hires, maybe 8 out of 80 get hired, and they told us that they weren't able to hire as many as they had anticipated this time around, so we feel especially lucky. What a huge faith building experience this has been. Holy Cow. I'm so proud of my man! Wanna know a secret? I had this awesome seminary teacher in high school, who was a good lookin guy. I never had an official crush on him or anything, but many times I remember thinking, "I want to marry a guy like that! I want to marry a seminary teacher!" Forget Cinderella, forget winning the lottery...our dreams came true and we are the luckiest people on earth today. Here's to the start of a major adventure!!

And just because.....



15 comments:

Kara said...

Yay! Congratulations. We look forward to hearing where you'll be moving.

It's REALLY windy here today, must be some major relief you're feeling!

Torgersons said...

Richie is the next Bro. McArthur for sure. :) Congrats! What a relief!

Jeff and Lori said...

We'll cross our fingers for Cedar City :) Congratulations!

The Wallace Family said...

It is a little breezy here today :)
Congrats! We are so happy for you guys.

Katie said...

Yay congrats!! That is so cool, what a great job to have : ) I wonder where you'll end up!

Becca said...

Yay! Congratulations!! I am so happy for you guys and I cannot wait to find out where you'll be moving.

DAVID WILSON said...

Wahooooo! Congratulations, that is so fantastic. I literally did a little dance of joy for you guys. This end of a long wait, is a totally new beginning in your life. Enjoy it.

McKenna said...

Congratulations! And yes, we have been seeing sudden gusts of wind (now I know why!) ;). How wonderfully the Lord looks out for each one of us. How grateful I am that you were able to marry a guy able to be your dream man seminary teacher! What a sweet and tender dream that was... and how incredible to see it come to pass. I am so grateful that all of Richies hard work has been so bountifully rewarded. I hope that you will come to love where ever it is they decide you are needed. What faith you have! What a wonderful blessing these awesome seminary teachers are to our precious children. May the Lord bless you and your family where ever you may go.

Unknown said...

Oh Rachel, if we were there, I'd give you a big hug! CONGRATS! You deserve to splurge and go out somewhere nice. It was worth the wait. Your dreams came true today! Congrats and job well done to Richie!

Amanda and Shaye Scott said...

Yey! I'm so happy for you guys! I hope that you get stationed close to St. George!!! I laughed when I read about the handsome seminary teacher you had--that had to have been Brother McArthur! I didn't have a crush on him either...not officially! :)

Grandma and Grandpa Crosby said...

HOW WONDERFUL! When we, Taysom, Zadi, and I, heard the good news we jumped for joy and hugged like crazy! We're proud of you both and can't help but shed a few tears, knowing our prayers have been answered in this way. Give Rich a big hug from all of us!

Our vote is for St. George, or thereabouts.

Makenna said...

We prayed all week- just let him have this Lord! You all worked and sacrificed so much! congrats to you all for making it!!!

Shelley said...

YAY!! You guys deserve it!!

Michelle Pingel said...

You seriously write the best posts. I know you guys won't be placed HERE in Post Falls, ID because they do early morning seminary as a calling....BUT I will secretly hope for Coeur d'Alene. :) Congrats!

Wii are the Nelsons said...

Way to go Richie! Congrats to your family - you guys are great! Well we better try harder on getting together before you guys move! I'll message you on FB!

September 2022

Benson turns 6! He requested a chocolate and strawberry cake where candy spills out of it. :) We went swimming at the rec center, Gwen made ...