Saturday, April 7, 2012

One of those moments

I had one of those parenting moments today. The kind of moment that you hear others talk about, or watch on a sitcom, or imagine. If you want to get technical, I guess it was a bunch of feelings and thoughts crammed into one moment.

We are trying our best to keep Easter all about Christ and do fun springtime activities later, but when the park across the street has a free Easter egg hunt, you go! Richie and Gwen stayed home while Miles and I put on our heavy coats and boots again (Yes, it snowed and we had an Easter egg hunt, snow and all. Only in Rexburg I tell you.) and waited in line. We got there plenty early because I knew there would be a big turn out. We were right on the front line, but that also meant we had to wait for about 30 minutes to run out and grab the eggs lying across the field. Miles was starting to understand what was happening and got very excited. When they finally said we could go, I stayed behind since that's what they asked all the parents to do. However, in about 1 second, it was clear that Miles' timid excitement wasn't going to win him any eggs. I guess most parents realized this and pretty soon the field was covered with people swarming for the eggs. You would have thought those eggs were golden. "Get as many as you can!" "Hurry, run!" We were only about a quarter way through the field when it was clear, there were no eggs left. Miles didn't realize this and kept telling me we were going to find some eggs! My heart just broke. Here comes one of those feelings. I want to give my kids everything, and when I can't, it just hurts. And at that moment, "everything" was a plastic, neon egg with a Tootsie roll inside. I found myself subconsciously hoping, praying to find an egg. When I had resigned myself to the fact that there were no more and we'd just have to do something special at home and explain it as best as we could to Miles, a lady from our ward saw our basket was empty and hastily threw 2 eggs from her sons basket behind Miles. He turned around and was beyond ecstatic to actually find not one but 2 eggs! We knelt down in the snow to open them and as Miles bit into a cheap, chocolate candy, I hugged him tight and prayed so many things. I was so thankful to Sherri for giving away 2 eggs. I was thankful that Miles is still small enough to be easily satisfied and was as ecstatic with 2 eggs as he would have been with a whole bucket full. I was thankful that my boy is sweet and kind and still likes to hold my hand instead of racing through the egg-hunting crowds without me.
We walked home and I shed a few tears thinking about times in the future when it won't be a plastic egg that he wants, but maybe a car, or a cell phone, or to get invited to some party. What happens when I can't give it to him? Even if I can, should I? I then thanked Heavenly Father for parents who always gave me what I needed, even if it meant withholding something. They are smart parents who have followed our Heavenly Parents pattern. We don't always get what we want, do we? Thank goodness.
So yes, lots of "those" parenting types of moments today, at an Easter egg hunt of all places.

10 comments:

The Wallace Family said...

This should be in the Ensign.

Katie said...

I second that comment above : ) This post is so true too. I hope I can teach my kids REAL happiness and where it comes from, even when some days I just say heck with it, happiness comes from a candy bar... I think I'm still learning just as much as my kids are.

Shelley said...

Yeah! You should submit this post to the Ensign! Miles is one lucky kid. I'm sure that lady had no idea what a big deal those two eggs were. I love your other post of fun things you have been doing with your kids while teaching them the gospel. I need to get on pinterest more so I don't slide into the boring mom role.

mylyn wood said...

Such a sweet story. I feel the same way sometimes and I wonder I'd my heart can handle more than the two I already have. Thank you for sharing.

Makenna said...

sigh, you have such a big heart Rach! And it gets bigger with every child. If only Miles could be transported here, because E would have totally let him find all the eggs :) I'm glad someone had compassion!

Grandma and Grandpa Crosby said...

Thank you Rachel, for a great Easter message; for insights deeper than I ever had; and for your ability to verbalize them with such tenderness. You are such a good mother and when the real challenges come.......and they will........I'm sure the needed inspiration will come as well.

Wii are the Nelsons said...

Well written! I'm so glad that mom did that.

Unknown said...

Thanks Rachel for this thought- provoking post. I think you have the best kind of child you could get! Pray hard he will keep that giving-tender heart of his. It will take him much farther than a greedy one ever will. No, I don't think you have to give him everything if you have a chance to, some things are better earned and worked for anyway, but I can relate. I have had to explain things like that to my kids to and try to remedy unfair situation. What a wonderful sister from your ward. I bet she didn't even think twice, but she was the answer to your prayer at that moment! That meant so much to you! Thanks again for sharing.

Becca said...

So sweet! Miles is one lucky kid to have you as his mom. :)

Adrienne said...

Good stuff Rach - thanks for sharing

September 2022

Benson turns 6! He requested a chocolate and strawberry cake where candy spills out of it. :) We went swimming at the rec center, Gwen made ...