Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Our Shelves Runneth Over

As a matter of fact, so does the underneath of our bed too! As of yesterday, October 3rd 2011, at approximately 11:37 am, I finished the canning for this year! For the past few years, I've set a goal to learn to can something new every year. Well, I think I learned how to can about 10 new things this year. We put up pesto, peas, green beans, bread and butter pickles, broccoli, corn, relish, dill pickles, applesauce, apple juice, diced tomatoes, carrots, peaches, pears, pear jam, pear butter, apple pie filling and pear sauce. We also dried a fair amount of pears and apples and made enough frozen baby food to last until Gwen won't be eating baby food anymore! It has been one of those months where we're reminded how intimately involved Heavenly Father is in our lives. We'd get done canning and then a neighbor would offer the apples of their tree (all of our apple stuff was free FYI because of such generous neighbors). Or someone would offer us their extra pears, or bring over some canned goods that they weren't using. It was a pretty cool experience. And it's always nice to know that if the world ends tomorrow, everyone can come on over to the Garners and we'll eat applesauce and pickles. :)

We had a great time watching conference this past weekend. It's always a challenge with young kids, I'm learning, but they both did pretty darn well. Even during the Saturday morning session that we spent at a neighbors house. There's an old widdower down the street who invited us over to watch the first session, so I was nervous about them behaving, but it turned out really well. We also kept busy and awake by tying a quilt and making "special conference pudding", which is just code for pudding we made during conference to keep Miles busy. I'm already excited for the Conference Ensign to come out so that I can get more out of it!

8 comments:

Katie said...

Oh my goodness Rachel, I am impressed!! Your canning skills are amazing, and the jars look so beautiful! That last pic of Gwen is too cute, gotta love 'em : )

Grandma and Grandpa Crosby said...

Just sooooo, soooooo, proud of you!

mylyn wood said...

wow! i am definitely impressed! i don't know how to can anything but that looks pretty amazing!

Becca said...

Awesome! My favorite part is that the apples were all free! How do you can bread? I definitely plan on canning more each year. And I'm excited that I get to can applesauce and such in a few weeks. You are such an inspiration.

Shelley said...

Remember Pres. Uchtdorf's talk at the RS broadcast...how you are not supposed to compare other's strengths to your weakness? Haha...I'm having a hard time when I see this post. I'm so impressed and I wanna be like you someday. That shelf is beautiful! And Gwen is huge! Lily saw the pic of Miles and said "Where is Miles?" She asked me that the other day too. We miss you guys!

Makenna said...

this makes my heart sing! good job Rach! the kiddies are so cute! how I miss you guys!

The Wallace Family said...

That's awesome! Would you be willing to teach me that when I come out?

Taysom

The Wallace Family said...

You rock!!!

September 2022

Benson turns 6! He requested a chocolate and strawberry cake where candy spills out of it. :) We went swimming at the rec center, Gwen made ...