Thursday, September 22, 2011

The last of 49

That's right, 49 grandchildren on my mom's side and I'm the tail end. Something that I've grown up with that most people think is silly is that we always wear name tags to our family get togethers. Thank goodness! I still don't know all my cousins by name, let alone their spouses and children. Even though I don't know all their names immediately, I know their faces and stories and whenever we get together there is a very special spirit. It's familiar, inviting and kind and I love getting together with the Hinckley cousins. This past weekend there was a cousin get together just for the aunts and uncles and cousins, sans kids. I was glad we were able to go. I'm also glad Richie is such a good sport. This is the second time he's met most of these people and so probably doesn't understand why I get teary eyed when we are all together and probably tires quickly of having to repeat the same intro over and over again.
Richie's folks were kind enough to watch the kids for us and let us stay with them. I swear I packed my camera, but couldn't find it once we got there, so all of these pictures are courtesy of my mom. We got to visit the grave site of my Grandma and Grandpa Hinckley and my great grandparents. We also visited the grave site of Ralph Johnson, the family farm hand who was more like a family member than an employee. We enjoyed a nice dinner at a park and caught up with as many cousins as possible. Such good times.





8 comments:

Linny said...

fun! (you look so good! what is your secret?)

The Wallace Family said...

I LOVE the picture of you and Gwen... so stinking cute! Is Miles wearing a watch??? You all look wonderful. I wish I could have been there with you.

Shelley said...

You are looking good my friend!!!

Kayla said...

you look so awesome rachel! and your kids... wow such cuties! i love gwens chunky legs so cute! :)

The Wallace Family said...

Haha, I love Gwen's expression in the second picture with you :) So cute! I love you!
Taysom

Grandma and Grandpa Crosby said...

I'm just so grateful that you would want to come and participate! And I can't tell you how good it was to see and hug you all! You have two of the cutest kids ever, and they're growing up so fast!

Love You!

Wii are the Nelsons said...

Glad you had fun! Cute pictures of everyone. You look fabulous and so tiny especially in that purple shirt.

Makenna said...

no kidding! you look great! so proud of you for working so hard :) Who's going to win the lottery at the end? (rich told me about you and your friends doing the lottery to get the weight off?) So nice that you guys are close enough to enjoy those weekend get togethers! and I think Rich knows why family is so important to you- cause its important to him too.

September 2022

Benson turns 6! He requested a chocolate and strawberry cake where candy spills out of it. :) We went swimming at the rec center, Gwen made ...