Thursday, January 28, 2010

A bit of this and a bit of that

Our Mac is officially fixed! It cost a pretty penny, but we're glad to have it back. We're still waiting on the lap top, but until then, I thought our blogging public was due for an update.

We went ice skating for FHE one Monday and had a blast! Richie got Miles so bundled up that he couldn't put his arms down. Randy from the "Christmas Story" anybody? Once he was all bundled, he fell down and couldn't even turn himself over. We laughed pretty hard. We went to the rink on campus and just brought the stroller and pushed him around in it. He did really well.



As some of you know, we've tried our fair share of money making ventures the past 6 months, and none of them have panned out quite like we expected. We kept feeling the pressure build, and in an answer to prayers, I got my old job back waiting tables at "Da Pineapple Grill", where I worked for the first year Richie and I were married. I only work a few nights a week and make pretty good money. So far, so good.

Miles and I get a little antsy being inside all day, and getting out to run errands just doesn't cut it anymore. So, I bundled him up the other day and we went out and 'played' in the snow. He face planted a few times, but was still a good sport. Miles is at the age where he doesn't just want to play with his toys all the time, but there's only so many activities that he understands and likes. So we build a lot of forts and blow lots of bubbles. Any suggestions for inside activities for a 1 year old?


Yikes, can you believe it?? A one year old!? On Saturday! He's a champ at walking these days and can get anywhere he wants. He still says "uh-oh" and "day do" (thank you) sometimes and "rahr" when he sees a lion. But recently he's mastered pointing, picking out dogs and saying "da", signing "all done", "more", "shoes", and "brush teeth". (Of which I think he's getting a bunch. Teeth, that is. He's extra cranky these days) Unfortunately, he's also learned to hit and throw tantrums where he grunts and tries to gag himself. ??? Where does this come from? But on the plus side, he's also learning to give soft kisses, and when you ask for one, he'll usually give you a bunch!

9 comments:

Nicole said...

That is such a good idea to just bring the stroller iceskating! We are so going to do that.

Wii are the Nelsons said...

Wow you're a busy woman! Yeah I need some ideas for indoor activities for 1 year olds too. James is learning to climb onto boxes and counters, sit in the sink and help me do dishes or play with my make-up brushes in the bathroom sink, and loves to look out the window especially at the train.

If you ever want to drop off Miles for a little while during the day for a change of scenery then you can. James loves having buddies.

James loves to play at other places like the library, Arctic Circle, McDonalds and friend's houses with "new" toys. It must be hard since you have to stay and manage.

Makenna said...

what a great update! Rachel, your hair is getting SO LONG! cool! Its wonderful to hear all the things Miles is learning how to do. :) He's so cute all bundled up! I hope waiting tables doesn't max you out, i know it wasn't my favorite job (maybe it was just the place). Anyways, yeah for fixed computer!!!

Zadi said...

When I saw Miles all bundled up I was laughing so hard I couldn't stop! Ha Ha Bravo!

Shelley said...

So cute! I love the ice skating ones. And I love that kid! He's such a sweetheart!

The Wallace Family said...

Let just hope that Miles doesn't start passing out when he throws his tantrums like you did when you were a toddler! It's been so long since I had a one year old... I do remember listening to music and dancing around the house - and cleaning up the contents of cupboards and/or drawers close to the floor :) You've taught Miles sign language? Very cool!

One Opinionated Housewife said...

It is kind of difficult with just one child to find things to do. Zadi and I listened to a lot of Neil Diamond, and did our fair share of dancing too. Eventually, she learned how to entertain herself, which is great, and in time, Miles will learn to do the same.

Becca said...

Love the ice skating picture- your family is adorable.

Sarah said...

So cute! I have trouble entertaining Anna indoors also. I make toys out of things like plastic bottles and beans and stuff and I also rotate her toys every week so they are more interesting.

September 2022

Benson turns 6! He requested a chocolate and strawberry cake where candy spills out of it. :) We went swimming at the rec center, Gwen made ...