Sunday, January 10, 2010

New Primary Class

The past year, Richie and I have been teaching the 12 year olds in our primary class. Everyone said what a handful they were and how it was going to be challenging. After the first week, Richie and I didn't see what the big deal was. They're 12, they like to talk and be social. That's how it is. Over the course of the year, Richie and I developed systems etc that helped reduce the natural symptoms of such an age and we loved teaching them! I think they mostly loved Miles, but it was hard to say goodbye.

They called us to a new age group. The 4 year olds!! There are only 3 (compared to our last class size of 8), but one child is particularity high strung because of a disorder her has. Everyone said what a handful they are and what a challenge it was going to be. After our first week, Richie and I don't see what the big deal is. They are 4, the wiggle, they don't understand some rules, and they get off subject. That's how it is.

Although it was different from our last class, it was fun to see how quickly I could change modes and get into "little kid" mode. I was immediately back in a student teaching mind-set, and thankfully, felt comfortable there. I'm so glad Richie's there with me and humors me when I tell the kids to "get your bubbles in your mouth" to go into the hall, (So they don't talk), among other silly things.

We decided we're going to have to start keeping a journal of all the silly things they say. At one point, this one little boy who struggles keeping still talked out while I was talking. I told him that from now on, we're all going to try and practice raising our hands before we talk. I started my sentence again, and he immediately interrupted me again with the same thing he was saying before...but his hand was raised. How do you get mad at that?

3 comments:

Grandma and Grandpa Crosby said...

Daddy and I are beginning to wonder what our callings will be when we return to our home ward in April. I'm embarrassed to admit it but I would have a hard time with the discipline issues in Primary. Sooooooo....I really admire you for your skill and your attitude! You will be a great blessing to those kids! (For some reason I just thought of the Smith twins when we first moved into the ward. They must have had some very wonderful and patient teachers themselves to have turned out so well.) By all means keep a journal of the funny things the kids say and do. You never know, it could be a best seller some day. (Re: Kids Say the Darndest Things by Art Linkletter)

The Wallace Family said...

Great Primary teachers are so precious - they help the kids feel and recognize the spirit and love them no matter what. Your ward is lucky to have you!

One Opinionated Housewife said...

Clearly, inspiration was involved when you guys were called to both of those callings. Primary is the best, and I love teaching 4 year olds...12 year olds too, for that matter.

September 2022

Benson turns 6! He requested a chocolate and strawberry cake where candy spills out of it. :) We went swimming at the rec center, Gwen made ...