Sunday, October 16, 2016

Benson's Baby Blessing

With my niece Zadi getting married up north here, we decided to plan Benson's blessing for that weekend since most of my family would be up anyway! We were so grateful for everyone sacrificing their time to be with us and support Benson/our family. The more I grow up, the more I realize what a sacrifice it is to make it to these types of events. We had a little lunch at our house for the Crosby side since they were all heading back home right after sacrament meeting. Benson was thrilled and a perfect host. ;)

Whenever we bless a baby, and it gets to that moment when all of these important men and priesthood holders in my life circle around the baby, I just feel like it approaches Heaven on Earth. I try and take mental pictures, but I really wish I could take a real one. :) It's one of my favorite things. Richie blessed Benson to lead a faith filled life and to make sacred covenants in the temple and remain true to those promises, among other things. We talked before the blessing about his name and the men we have named him for. Ira is a family name on both sides of my family. Paris Ira Ashcroft is my paternal great Grandpa. Ira Nathaniel Hinckley is my maternal great, great Grandpa. One year I read both of their histories and I just knew that if we ever got another son, the name Ira needed to be in there somewhere. Both of those men were men of great courage and conviction, men who worked hard, and men who were tender. We took the name Benson from the prophet Ezra Taft Benson. When Richie and I got married, a few of his talks had great impact on some pivotal issues for us as we started our family. His stance on self-sufficiency specifically affected us. I read his biography a few years back and was truly impressed with what this great man accomplished in his life. From what I've read of his, he didn't mince words. He stood up for what he believed to be true. We hope our Benson will emulate some of these stellar qualities.

We had our Sunday dinner with the Garner side after church. It is such a blessing to go to the Garner's every Sunday for dinner! And even with all of this family time, and plenty of people to ask to snap a picture of our family of SIX, it still didn't happen. Boo. I guess I could put Benson back in his blessing outfit, make us all get dressed in our Sunday best and recreate the event. But I would know it was a fake and I'd feel like a fraud. :) So, no pictures of the proud parents flanking the newest addition on his big day. But I did snap a ton of the star of the show after church. Isn't he so handsome??? (You can thank Lindy for the gigantic scratch across his forehead.)




The "Money" shot


A bunch of other cute ones. :)

1 comment:

Becca said...

Beautiful blessing pictures! Wish we could have been there! Sounds like it was a beautiful blessing and I agree that nothing brings the spirit like sweet priesthood blessings.

September 2022

Benson turns 6! He requested a chocolate and strawberry cake where candy spills out of it. :) We went swimming at the rec center, Gwen made ...