Monday, October 3, 2016

September!

What a whirlwind!! It seems like forever ago that we just had 3 kids, and yet it seems like just yesterday! Funny how that happens sometimes. Here's a few notables from the month of September that we managed to squeeze in while adjusting to having 4 kids.

The same weekend that Benson was born, we had a mini Garner family reunion. Ross and Amanda were in the process of moving back to Utah from Oregon, so we decided to get together. It was all kept very low key, so it was doable for moms with new babies. We were discharged from the hospital on the 2nd in the early afternoon, we went home and I showered and got myself and the kids ready, and then we went back to the Garner's house for family pictures. Ha! I can't win with family pictures this year. :) I'll have to post some here when I get them. They turned out great. The kids camped out in the Garner's backyard, we played at a nearby park, ate lots of good food with each other, listened to family history stories, yep, it was a good time.


A few days after Benson was born, we made the choice to put our dog Ozzy down. It was a tough choice, but the right one. He had been going steadily downhill for the past year or so. The past couple of months, he lost major control of his bladder. Our carpet was AWFUL. We kept on top of it as much as possible, but we had the carpets professionally deep cleaned right before Benson was born, despite the fact that we had just cleaned them a couple months previous. Right as we brought Benson home, Ozzy lost control of his bowels and his stomach. We were constantly cleaning up every bodily fluid possible. Yuck. We decided it was time, and made the call. I took him in the next day. We tried to prepare the kids as much as possible and I thought they would be a wreck about it. However, the morning came and Richie took pictures with the kids, and they all seemed just fine. No tears from the kids, just Richie and I. Ha! They frequently tell me they miss him though. We buried him in the backyard. Lindy can't stop telling everyone "Ozzy Die!" He was the best dog of all time. He spoiled me because now I don't want another dog, because it will never be as good as Ozzy.


My mom came up the next week to help out with the transition for 4 kids. I'm always so grateful for that motherly help. The ward was bringing food, my mom stayed on top of all the cleaning, so Richie and I were able to get some canning in! My mom did crafts with the kids, read them books, took them on outings etc etc etc, so that I could get some restful time with Benson. I felt like that first week home, I had to jump back into things quicker than normal, so it was so nice to have my mom here for that second week and feel a little spoiled. I should have taken more pictures!


Cute sisters sleeping:) They fight SO much. They also have so much fun together, so I guess it evens out, especially when they fall asleep holding hands.


One night before going to bed, Richie went to check on the kids and came out laughing so hard. He told me to get the camera and come in the girl's room. This is how we found Lindy. We were laughing and snapping pictures and then we heard a giggle coming from Miles's room. :) He was to blame for the set up. Gwen also had some artwork on her face, but nothing extensive. The next morning, I noticed Miles's face looked like it had marker on it but was washed off. I asked him if he colored on his own face also and he said, "Yeah, I did. Just to make it fair."


The kids and dad finished reading "Davy Crockett", so we celebrated. It's been a while since we've had a book party. It was fun to add that back into the swing of things. They did a Davy Crockett coloring page, we ate rabbit stew and biscuits (seemed fitting), and then watched the Disney version of the story, which the kids were enthralled with.



Here's some (low-light) Benson cuteness for ya.


We're slowly getting back into school. We took a couple weeks off, which was so needed, but when it was back to just me and the kids it was almost easier to get back into the school routine. It gives us all direction and purpose and helps break up the day in a meaningful way. We're still not going full steam, but it's nice being productive while we adjust. Here's Miles and Gwen working on part of our "math" for the day. :) We cut down our huge sunflowers and decided to use them to practice our fine motor skills (picking the seeds out with fingers and tweezers), and our math skills (estimating, counting, grouping etc). That sunflower had 1,200 seeds in it!


I've been dying to get the kids up in the mountains to see some of the beautiful fall colors. However, I've been more anxious going out and about with 4 kids than with any other transition. So, I stayed home with Benson and got some canning done while Richie took the 3 oldest to one of our favorite spots up by the Draper temple. I love this picture!!


Miles getting creative with the chalk. Quite the abstract artist eh?



Miles set a goal at the beginning of the Summer to earn $100 by the end of the season. He finally reached his goal and we went to the bank so that he could officially hold a $100 bill in his hands. He was almost shaking with excitement. Now he's working on getting his mission fund (currently $30) up to $100, and earning another $100 for his fun money.


4 comments:

Becca said...

You amaze me (as always) and I love the picture of your kids on their hike. Northern Utah is always so beautiful in the fall! We will miss you this weekend and look forward to your posts on Benson's baby blessing. Love you!

Grandma and Grandpa Crosby said...

Awesome pics! I think my favorite is the one of the kids with the fall leaves! So cute! But Lindy's painted face, the sleeping Lindy and Gwen holding hands, the new babies lined up, AND Mile's $100 bill!!!! (Way to go Miles!) Just a great post overall!!!

Grandma and Grandpa Crosby said...

We really missed Ozzy the last few times we've been in your home. It's always hard to lose a beloved pet! But I'm so glad he had you, Rich, and children to love and care for him.

Ross said...

We love the kite-flying pic you captured! It looks like a painting. That was sure a fun day. Love your posts as always! Amanda & Ross

September 2022

Benson turns 6! He requested a chocolate and strawberry cake where candy spills out of it. :) We went swimming at the rec center, Gwen made ...