Friday, August 10, 2012

That's why you marry a Garner boy

Over the past couple of weeks we've been greatly blessed with free produce! Being in the more populated Salt Lake Valley, we've been taking advantage of Ksl and Craigslist, more specifically the "free" sections. First we found apricots for free from an unused tree at at apartment complex in downtown SLC. Yes, it does cost gas money to drive there, but it makes for an outing with the kids.

About a week later, we found plums for free in West Jordan. Richie went and picked plenty on a Saturday, in addition to picking up free firewood and gravel for our window wells.

This past week, the Garners picked bushels and bushels of corn for a friend who wasn't going to use it and gave it to us!

We've figured Heavenly Father knows that putting up food is important to us and has humored us a lot lately. Most nights lately, include Richie and I sitting around the table pitting apricots, freezing plums and cutting corn till late hours while we watch shows and talk. It's so wonderful. If I had to pull that load by myself, I'd be crazy at this point, but Richie puts in a full effort doing a "woman's job". Not only Richie, but all of this brothers! One night, we invited them over to watch a movie and when they saw all the plums, they insisted on helping can the plums while they watched a movie.



This last picture is just too funny not to post. Before the boys came over, we had been outside running in the sprinkler. I had just finished "de-robing" the children to go inside and get in their pj's when the uncles showed up. Miles hopped on Ross' back, fully naked, and got a piggy back ride through the sprinklers. Miles thought it was awesome.


6 comments:

Makenna said...

:) this makes me smile! it sounds heavenly! doing work like this is what makes being a family-a family.

Torgersons said...

Man, I didn't even think about finding free produce on KSL! What a novel idea. I love free.

I also love the last naked butt picture. Haha!

Becca said...

That last picture is hilarious! You should make jam with those plums and apricots! I have totally jumped on the canning wagon. I canned applesauce last fall and tomatoes from our garden this summer. I was so proud of myself!

Grandma and Grandpa Crosby said...

So glad you like to can! Wish we could have shared some of our apricots and peaches with you this year!

Love that last picture of Miles! You know.....I have a cute "in the buff" picture of you climbing into the bath tub when you were a little one. AND...I can remember you being embarrassed by it when you got a little older. Wonder what Miles will think about this when he's a teenager.

The Wallace Family said...

I've never canned... guess I'm missing out. Maybe one day I'll live close enough so that you and A can introduce me to that domestic goddess world.

One Opinionated Housewife said...

Impressive, most impressive. I would like to rent them out for a weekend!

September 2022

Benson turns 6! He requested a chocolate and strawberry cake where candy spills out of it. :) We went swimming at the rec center, Gwen made ...