Sunday, May 6, 2012

Glimpses

*It's 11:28 pm and I can't sleep...again. Maybe next week, I won't indulge in a Sunday nap.

*Richie's school had a bomb threat last Friday and he got to come home early!

*In the last 9 months or so, I've lost a nice bit of weight. However, this week we used a gift card to get ice cream, I ate chocolate cake at a stake event on Saturday, and I ate 2 big pieces of carrot cake and ice cream to celebrate a birthday today. I have major eater's remorse.

*A family in our ward tragically lost their 12 year old son this week. It's been a traumatic event for the entire ward, myself included, who didn't know the family well at all. Lots of thoughts and prayers going their way.

*The previously mentioned stake event was actually a dinner that myself and one other girl, around my age, were asked to provide for 30 stake leaders who couldn't make it home in between sessions of stake conference on Saturday. Tiny bit daunting, but a really good experience overall.

*Do you ever feel hungry and look in the fridge only to realize nothing sounds good to you? I'm feeling that...on an emotional level. Deep, yes? I can't seem to find the magical balance between ambition and contentment, so I sit at the "fridge", my mind goes 100 miles per hour, and all I end up feeling is frustrated.

*I put a Pinterest idea into practice the other day. Who knew we had dinosaur eggs in our front yard!? Does this picture look familiar mom?

*My mother in law gave us all these great flannel board characters she had made up years ago. However, we didn't own a flannel board. So I got a piece of scrap wood from a friend and flanneled it up on one side. "What a shame to waste the other side." I thought. So I painted it with chalkboard paint. Ta-Da! This has been a real hit round these parts.

*Miles was a real trooper during stake conference today. Speaking of stake conference, who's bright idea was that? 2 hours is a loooong time for kiddos. When the last speaker finished and the closing hymn started to play, Miles knew it was over. He threw his arms in the air and shouted, "WE DID IT!" He's been saying lots of quotable things lately. And yes, I'm writing them down.

*Richie starts getting paid a salary next week. Like a real job! Whaaaat?! Which means, hopefully, this will be the last month of our entire lives that we will ever go "in the hole" again!!! I'm imagining that last sentence sounding like an announcer at a football game.

*I've been thinking a lot about Ezekiel 33 lately and the lesson it teaches about the watchman on the tower. Richie taught it in seminary this year and then told me all about it. We all have lots of responsibility in our spheres of influence. I'm trying to be better about that.

*Our house looks like a disaster area. There are boxes and packing materials in all the wrong places. Lots of homey things are packed up already. If they asked us to move next week, we could no problem. I guess that was the idea behind packing up so early. That and making it easier on me, so I wouldn't have to pack everything at once. We take loads of boxes to our storage unit at least once a week. It's good, but...now I'm more anxious than ever to figure out where we are going, and then get there!

5 comments:

Katie said...

Ezekiel 33, THANK YOU!! I was looking for that scripture for my Sunday School class last week and never got around to pinning it down. Phew, thanks : )

Becca said...

Your real salary starts next week AND Richie has the summer off?! You guys have it made! I'm so excited to find out where y'all be moving to.

Grandma and Grandpa Crosby said...

Great post! The dinosaur egg activity looked like a big hit; love the chalk board; and yes, the one picture of Miles is a lot like my all time fav! Even at this stage of my life I'd stress out over fixing dinner for stake leaders, so I think you're awesome. Congrats on your weight loss; the official "salary"; and good luck with the on-going pack up! We're holding our breath that your seminary assignment brings you closer to home!

The Wallace Family said...

Love your analogy with the looking in the fridge - love Miles comment "We did it!" - love and admire you!!

Becca said...

I love your blog. You're so awesome.

September 2022

Benson turns 6! He requested a chocolate and strawberry cake where candy spills out of it. :) We went swimming at the rec center, Gwen made ...