Thursday, December 9, 2010

All is calm, all is bright

I don't have any pictures, I think our downloader usb thing is broken, so for now you'll just get the written word. You know those times when you just feel humbled to be living your life? As if there are bad things that happen, and not everything goes your way, but if you have enough perspective you can see how really blessed your life is and then the unfortunate things don't seem so bad at all! I've been feeling in awe of my life lately, despite some small trials.

Last weekend I got to go to SLC to hang out with some old high school friends! Richie doesn't understand why I felt like it was so important to go since he doesn't really associate with anyone from high school, but he's sweet enough that he hauled us all down there anyway. Friday night Miles' cold evolved into this season's croup. Not just any croup, but a terrible croup that resulted in a sleepless night for everyone involved. Saturday morning he was improved enough that I felt ok to go be with friends. We had a great time! I think there's always room for girl time. Richie had left his phone in the car, so we hadn't been in contact all day. When I called later in the evening to see how things were I was shocked to find out that Miles, Richie and his mom had been in the hospital insta-care with Miles for the better part of the day and that if this last breathing treatment didn't work, he'd have to spend the night in the hospital. I felt like a terrible mom and left the gals to go be with my family. Long story short, he didn't have to stay at the hospital and actually slept amazing that night. He's since recovered from croup, but is still battling a bear of a cold.
Blessings of that weekend:
*Near a great hospital
*With a nurse (Richie's mom) all weekend to help Miles in ways we couldn't
*Readily available Priesthood holders to give blessings
*Family willing to fast and pray
*A small miracle that Miles' breathing improved so much in such a short time after a blessing and fasting and prayers
*A cuddly boy
*An early Christmas present from Richie's brothers to help us pay for the bills. :)

Now how could that burden seem even slightly heavy with such blessings happening all around us?? I could go on and on about how blessed we feel, but suffice it to say these feelings have been more poignant around this Christmas time. If you have a few minutes, check out this video of the choir singing "Silent Night". I think I shared it last season, but it's my favorite.

4 comments:

Brian and Stacy said...

I'm sooooo glad he's ok! I know someone that just lost their 4 year old boy to croup. Soooo heartbreaking! They did take him to the hospital during the day, but they just got sent home a couple times. So glad things turned out alright!

Adrienne said...

Hey Rach,

Mom told me about your ordeal but I was glad to read about it on your blog and to know that everything is o.k. Do you guys have a nebulizer (I don't think I spelled that right)? You have such great perspective and what a blessing it was to be where you were and with Richie's family. I know how crazy and scary croup can be and the colds they have afterward are horrible! Goodluck - we love you guys!!!

One Opinionated Housewife said...

Curse croup! I have spent many a sleepless night worrying about whether my child would live to see the dawn. I feel your anxiety, and your relief. As for those bills, I can sympathize with you.
Glad to hear that he recovered, and we look forward to seeing you soon.

Grandma and Grandpa Crosby said...

You are not a terrible mom! You are a darling, patient, and loving mother who simply thought Miles was on the mend! Let's all just be grateful that, as you said, Christy was on hand to evaluate the situation and get Miles the medical help he needed, and that Richie and others were able to provide a Priesthood blessing.

Hope Miles is fully recovered soon! I can hardly wait to see you all at Christmas!

September 2022

Benson turns 6! He requested a chocolate and strawberry cake where candy spills out of it. :) We went swimming at the rec center, Gwen made ...