Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The Forgotten Holiday

Ever since I was little, I always felt bad for Thanksgiving because as soon as Halloween was over, people moved right on to Christmas. I like Christmas just as much as the next guy, but why can't the industry give due credit to Thanksgiving? And why do I feel such a personal responsibility to make sure Thanksgiving gets celebrated? I don't know. But I really do love this Holiday, so in an effort to keep gratitude in our hearts all month long, I made us a "Thankful 4" tree. I got the idea from a magazine, and it's not exact, but it works. I just cut a tree out of paper, then made die cuts of 4's and leaves. Whenever we think of something we're thankful for, we write it down on a leaf and stick it to the tree! Ta-da!



Another way I've found to feed my need to create is rearranging our decorations! It's free and it makes me feel like I have something new and fun. This is just some shelving that's built into the wall. I used some squash that Richie's family gave us, some of our brown placemats, leave from the park, and stuff we already had to make it look more "Thanksgiving-ish".

7 comments:

One Opinionated Housewife said...

You continue to impress me with your creative skills. I'm jealous! That shelf looks marvelous, my dear. Feel free to decorate my house anytime.

McKenna said...

Dito to the comment about your creativity! You are so talented.

Makenna said...

I wish you were around to help decorate my house too! You should be a personal decorator, and go spend people's money and then decorate their homes for them! I bet you could make a bundle :)

Alex, Orchid, Layla, & Leo Christensen said...

You are so cute I just LOVE you! I totally agree. Christmas is my favorite holiday, but remembering gratitude is muchly important before the holiday that can sometimes turn into greed comes along.

Grandma and Grandpa Crosby said...

Some of my all time favorite memories center around family Thanksgiving get-togethers when our kids were all young. Hope we are helping to create similar memories for our grandchildren, and wish with all my heart we could all be together this Thanksgiving!

In Canada they celebrate Thanksgiving in October, before Halloween I think. I don't remember Canadians honoring it any better there than we do here, but at least it isn't sandwiched between the other two holidays. Whether or not we allow Thanksgiving to be overshadowed in our own lives is up to us. I'm glad you have made a conscious decision to honor Thanksgiving always.

Nice job with the decorating too!

The Hoffmans said...

I love to read your blog because you are so creative and I admire it! You are awesome!

sam said...

First of all, I couldn't agree more. Why does Thanksgiving get the cold shoulder? It's the best holiday because you get to be with family, eat the best food ever, and you don't have to worry about gifts. I'm thankful for that, write it on your tree, haha. You are so creative, Miles has an amazing mom :) And your fall decor looks like something in Christensen's haha.

September 2022

Benson turns 6! He requested a chocolate and strawberry cake where candy spills out of it. :) We went swimming at the rec center, Gwen made ...