Monday, October 5, 2009

Book Review etc etc etc

Book Review

I just finished reading "Across Five Aprils" by Irene Hunt. It's a pretty short book, but it's just taken me so long to read it. I wish it wasn't this way, but reading is something that always gets pushed to the bottom of the list these days, despite how much I just want to curl up and read.
This book is about a young boys view of life during the civil war. They live in southern Illinois and he is 9 when the book begins. Throughout the book, his family is deeply affected by the war and manhood is somewhat thrust upon him as he is the only one left at home with a sick father. I think this book was well written, but there's one aspect of her writing that I can't decide if I like or not. She doesn't drag things out. She cuts right to the chase. One minute you're reading about the war ending and the victorious North, and within one paragraph with seemingly no subject change, you're hearing about the death of President Lincoln. (Sorry if I spoiled the ending for any of you) I don't know. I did and did not like that style.
However, I highly recommend this book. It would be fantastic as a supplement to learning about the civil war. It definitely isn't in depth about all the generals and battles etc, but it gives you a fictional perspective which I thought was valuable in this case.
Etc #1

So...where did Fall go?? Usually I love the Fall here. The leaves actually change colors, the air is crisp. That lasted for about 2 weeks, then I open the door this morning, and this is what I see. Living in Eastern Idaho for the past couple of years, I've come to appreciate the snow and how beautiful Winter is. Just not on October 5th.
Etc #2
The other day a 'traveling salesman' of sorts came into the office and was trying to sell grapefruit and oranges. He even gave us a slice of each to try. Oh how I wish I could have bought some. They were so delicious! When I told him we couldn't afford it, he kindly left the rest of the grapefruit and orange and went on his way. So Miles and I went back into the apartment and enjoyed his generosity!





Etc #3
Miles changes everyday. I can't believe how fast time goes. Lately, he's been really clingy to me. Don't get me wrong, I love it that he wants his mommy, but where did this come from? Sometimes he doesn't even want to go to Richie. And up till now, he's gone down for naps and bedtime like a champ. Now, every time I put him down, he just screams until my heart can't take it anymore and I have to go in and rock him to sleep. I know I should just let him cry it out and re-learn how to fall asleep on his own, but part of it is my selfishness wanting to cuddle with my little boy. Any suggestions?

5 comments:

Becca said...

Holy Smokes snow already!! I'm sure I'll be able to sympathize with you completely in a couple of months. I hear the winters here can be brutal. There is already a nip in the air I'm not used to for October. As for the crying at bedtime...I just watch the clock and let them cry it out for about 10-15 minutes. then I'll go in to see if anything is wrong (ie dirty diaper). After about 10 minutes my babies usually gave up. Good luck!

Jill Dees said...

Glad I'm here, windows are open, weather is wonderful! And I would like to know where he got the oranges and grapefruit, they are not in season yet! They don't come off until December and January. I'll bring you some off of my trees when they come off! I have ruby red grapefruit, navel orange, lemons and limes. Yum yum. But I'll share!

Tanners said...

ahh be selfish, it's your first.

Grandma and Grandpa Crosby said...

I know it goes against current wisdom, but I loved rocking my babies to sleep. It was a sad day indeed when they no longer needed or wanted it.

"Cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow, for babies grow up we've learned to our sorrow. So quiet down cobwebs, dust go to sleep. I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep." (Song for a Fifth Child)

One Opinionated Housewife said...

I have such fond memories of rocking Zadi to sleep, and I wish that I would have done more of that with Liesl and Tess. Consequently, Zadi is my only child who likes to cuddle to this day. I think that you can have it both ways, Rach. Rock him to sleep, and put him down even if he cries. Eventually he will learn to sleep again even if you rock him first. Like Mom said, enjoy your time with him.

September 2022

Benson turns 6! He requested a chocolate and strawberry cake where candy spills out of it. :) We went swimming at the rec center, Gwen made ...