Monday, August 11, 2008

Our Protest on Gas Prices

RIchie had the fabulous idea to grab his two bikes next time we were in SLC so that we could ride them around in Rexburg instead of using our cars. I was excited to do anything that will save us some money, especially gas money. Gas money has taken it's toll with us traveling and such. It's always depressing to go through our budget at the end of the month and see how much gas robbed us!! Anyone else!?? So, Richie, being the handyman he is, fixed the tires on our bikes and we were good to go! Now, I just need a comfy seat! I'll have you know that we were both on empty on August 1st and have still not filled up yet! That's the beauty of living in a small town and being able to bike almost anywhere you need to go.

Since money is so tight these days, here are some ways we've been trying to save money. Don't knock em till you try em! And keep giving us ideas on how to save even more money!
*I cut Richie's hair and go to a friend for me.
*We wash and save our ziplock bags and reuse them
*I make bread instead of buying it.
*The only dates we do are under $5 usually. (Frisbee, walk, sometimes ice cream, dancing, and 50 cent movies at Horkley's)
*We don't have AC. We just use 2 fans which work really well and cut down on the cost.
*Certain loads of laundry can be air dried, so we don't use our drier.
* We turned the water heater way down since cold showers feel better these days anyway :)
*I usually only make 3-4 big meals a week, and we eat the left-overs on the other nights. That way I don't have to cook every night and we don't buy so many groceries!
*Something I'm working on is only buying the things we really need at the grocery store, only the things that are on the list. That's a tough one for me.
*Ride bikes!
Anyway, those are some ideas. Have any other ideas?

8 comments:

Laura Edwards said...

These are great ideas! I need to be better at some of these!

*MARY* said...

When you give Richie a haircut you can save his hair and weave it into a sweater or a pair of socks or something. It's both economical and romantic.

Karamea said...

these are all such great ideas. i thought about riding my bike all summer...key word: thought. but every time i walked outside to get on it i started melting and ran back inside! st. george is just too hot for me to want to ride a bike! hopefully fall will be different!

anyway! it's good to see you're blogging too! your life looks happy and exciting! and congrats on the soon to be little bundle of joy you're having!

- karamea

Becca said...

I love that you guy's aren't really driving anymore. That's a big reason why gas prices are going back down, and as a result of that prices will go down everywhere. We don't drive that much either. That's the beauty of living in the heart of a big city. :) I reuse our ziplock bags for Theo's dirty diapers when I'm away from home. I also buy food in bulk at the cannery like oatmeal, rice and spaghetti. I use it throughout the year and then buy more. I have really fun containers I put it all in.

Manda Lynn said...

Rachel, I just round your blog and the recipe for taco salads reminded me of lake powell forever ago! hahaha! wow, so long ago.

Trev and Sara said...

a tad jealous that you are finding out so soon! i don't go for another 3 weeks or so! for sure let me know what you are having. i'm so excited for you!! suggestion on the clothing situation... pants:apply rubber band or some kind of band where your button is. it will loop around your button then through the whole and back to the button to add added space for your cute belly. next the shirt: you are just going to have to stretch your shirts you and not care that people probably think you look fat and not preg. :)depressing i know. i woke up last night due to the fact that i was sleeping on my stomach and it was not comfortable. ah sleeping on the stomach wont last much longer. i love your face!!!!

Pili girl~ said...

Rach!

I just got done with the Boys camp through Chicago Urban Studies. Here are a few other suggestions that I did:

Unplugg EVERYTHING you're not using! I seriously dropped my electric bill by over half! When I'm not using the TV/VCR/DVD, toaster, washer & dryer, radio, curling iron, etc... I unplugg it all. I also switched to "green bulbs" as I call them.

I usually hang dry all of my laundry so the dryer isn't running.

BBQing is a good idea. Coal/propane is sometimes a lot cheaper than electric or gas.

Buying groceries at the little corner farmer's stand is cheaper than buying it in the stores.

Coupons and discounts are always better to use.

Having a food swap with some friends is also good too. Meaning, instead of eating the same things over and over, make a bunch of food with friends, and swap with them.

Instead of watching television and such or turning on lights, a fun game by candle light etc, is always fun and romantic.

Shopping for clothes etc at garage sales and on Builletin Board is always fun.

Anyway, I hope that helps. much love, pili girl~

One Opinionated Housewife said...

Try filling your freezer up completely, even if you aren't actually putting food in there b/c that will way it doesn't have to work so hard to keep everything cold. I'm jealous that you can ride your bikes and not melt right into the pavement, and no a.c.? WHATEVER!!!

September 2022

Benson turns 6! He requested a chocolate and strawberry cake where candy spills out of it. :) We went swimming at the rec center, Gwen made ...