Monday, February 24, 2020

Valentine's Day

We are trying an experiment this year of buying no non-consumables. I read a book about a family who did the same experiment and it just made a lot of sense to me. We are already de-junking like crazy, since the house we will be living in for a few years is about half the size of the one we're in now, and we don't want to rent a storage unit. This challenge just offers another step up from that. I could go on and on about my feelings about this...maybe another time.
It's been going really well so far. One of the things we've had to get creative with is making Valentine's! We had broken crayons, ingredients for play-doh, paint swatches I grabbed for free, condiment cups, magnets and scrabble tiles, free printable Richie printed at work...The kids all turned out top notch Valentine's, it didn't cost me a dime, and we used up more things here that we won't have to move later one!





We had a homeschool Valentine's Party where we exchanged Valentine's, made paper hearts, frosted sugar cookies, and then "heart-attacked" a few widows in the ward. It was a great way to celebrate, but I was feeling stressed because our house was a wreck. Everything from the kitchen was still in boxes in the living room. Chaos. But we made it through and the kids had fun. My favorite parts were seeing Miles and Cee-Cee running off together to play like actual friends, and finding Miles on the couch comforting Brendan who was having a rough time.



On Valentine's, we had our traditional mini heart pies, and I heart-attacked the kid's door with things we love about them. Later that day when I took Richie's truck to clean it, as per tradition, the kids found their way outside and had a mud-party. Thank goodness for soap, and water, and washing machines. :) We were supposed to swap babysitting with Ian and Makenna, but we each had some sickness going around our families, so we had to cancel. So on Valentine's night, we got heart shaped pizza and then we went around the table and each said something we love about each person. That, hands-down, is my new favorite tradition. We laughed and cried, and it was like I could literally feel the bonding happening. Gwen even teared up when she was saying why she loved me- saying she was glad I was her mom, and teacher, and also her friend forever. Melt my heart! The next day, we had our fancy dinner (oooh-la-la) complete with chocolate fondue. :)

No comments:

September 2022

Benson turns 6! He requested a chocolate and strawberry cake where candy spills out of it. :) We went swimming at the rec center, Gwen made ...