Monday, February 17, 2020

Miles turns 11!

Some years we let the kids have friend parties, other years it's strictly family, other years they can invite a friend or two for a fun outing and that's the extent.... It just depends on money, and my energy level mostly. This year we decided to let all the kids have friend parties since we'll be moving later and we want them to celebrate with their buddies here.

We are also trying something new this year with the oldest 3 where Richie and I give them $100 for their birthday, and they are in charge of budgeting that money for whatever they want to do. But that's all they get for a party, or an outing, or presents from Mom and Dad. They can take the $100 and we will just do fun family things that day, or they can use all of it to throw a party. It's up to them. Miles is pretty obsessed with Harry Potter. I'm not mad about it. :) He chose a Harry Potter Birthday and kept it pretty simple. He decided on a late Friday night party where his friends would make wands, eat cake and ice cream, and then watch Harry Potter #8. Easy Peasy, right? We borrowed decorations from a friend, made a really simple, festive cake, bought supplies for wands, and still had $56 dollars left. (Later on we pooled that money with Aunt Makenna and got him a huge Harry Potter Lego set he was dying for).

That morning we decided to take a break from "regular school" and do an Atlas crate, which included making pretzels.


That afternoon, we used a coupon he'd been given at Canyon Grove and went to "In and Out" for lunch. Always a special treat.



Afterward, to make the day feel special, we ventured all the way up to SLC to the huge library. We'd never been, and we had a voucher for a free kids book. We thought that'd be fun. Turns out, the coolest part of it all was the glass elevators. I should have known.


I tried so hard to make it a special day, but I was running on a shoe-string mental and physical budget. 2 days previous, I couldn't get out of bed, I was so sick. But you know who doesn't care that you're sick?? Kids. Even though Miles is incredibly sweet, and told me once or twice, "No Mom, we don't have to do that...." I could hear it in his voice that he would be disappointed if we didn't. So I forged on, like moms do. Unfortunately, that means I also snapped more than I should have. I'm afraid my "cheery" demeanor tainted the fun day.


The next day was his party. Miles, as usual, didn't want to leave anyone out. So he invited his entire primary class, plus 2 of his best friends who are in the older class, plus an old friend that used to be in our homeschool group. I didn't have a problem inviting so many kids. They're all good kids. What I forgot was that the kids are all bigger now. And louder. I kept telling myself that this party was going to be a breeze. All we're doing is making wands, opening presents, eating cake and ice cream, and then plopping them down in front of a movie. I forgot how loud kids can be, and how the majority don't want to sit quietly and watch a movie at a party...Which presents a problem for my nerves. Again, my mood was tainting the fun. So eventually Richie was the adult out in the fray, and I hunkered down in my room. Alone. I went out later after all the kids left and helped clean up the most popcorn ever left on a living room floor to date. ahhhh...Deep Breaths. Hopefully Miles remembers his party fondly :)

No comments:

September 2022

Benson turns 6! He requested a chocolate and strawberry cake where candy spills out of it. :) We went swimming at the rec center, Gwen made ...