Friday, September 8, 2017

Starting School

The time leading up to the beginning of a new school year is full of excitement for me; both the good kind and the bad. I was woefully under prepared going into the new school year. I barely ordered curriculum in time. My preparation mostly consisted of telling the kids that school was coming, buying them each a new outfit, and then silently freaking out because I felt like I couldn't even handle regular life at this point, how was I supposed to add school on top of everything? "So should we go a different route?" I thought. "Nope, it still feels right." So I ordered the books and put all of my trust in Heavenly Father. He's got it all figured out, so I just keep doing my best to follow along. Even if that means not being able to see the end from the beginning, and even if it stresses me out...a lot sometimes.

People ask me about homeschooling a lot and the best analogy I've come up with is that it's just like motherhood. It's the hardest thing I've ever done. EVER. But I love it so much that the thought of giving it up makes me so sad it actually hurts a little. On days when I get absolutely overwhelmed, Richie is always good to remind me that we don't have to do it this way. There are lots of educational options out there. But this still feels good and there are so many pros to doing it this way. I get giddy organizing the school room, getting new books in the mail and buying school supplies. I love watching my kids progress and being their biggest cheerleader. I love the freedom. I love learning new things alongside them. It's awesome, and terrifying, and wonderful.

I decided to make more of an effort to wake up before the kids this year, so that we could get going on our school work earlier in the day. Of course, once that thought was completed in my brain, it ensured that although Benson had been sleeping steadily till 7 the past few months, he would then change his schedule to begin his day at 530. So that plan has been successfully thwarted almost every day since we began school. But, on day one, I was successful. I was so anxious for school to start I woke up every hour the night before. At 6 I got showered and was so excited to have some quiet time alone to read my scriptures, and then I found a Gwen in my room. :) She was so excited for school to start she had been waking up in the night too. She was dressed and ready to begin. :)

The kids were so excited to wear their new outfits and we had a great first day. However, by the 3rd day I was already dealing with attitude problems. ON THE 3RD DAY!! When I asked Gwen why she wasn't excited anymore, she said it was because she didn't have any more new outfits to wear. Hmmmm... Miles didn't have a specific reason. He just is generally less excited about school than Gwen. We have been doing school since mid August, and are getting into a really good groove. Lindy is participating in a more academic way, Benson still takes a short nap in the mornings and that makes it easier for a bit, and most of the time, they work really hard and are learning so much. Here's their "official" first day of school pictures. Miles- 3rd grade, Gwen 1st grade, Lindy- pre-k, Benson - Mommy school. :)

No comments:

September 2022

Benson turns 6! He requested a chocolate and strawberry cake where candy spills out of it. :) We went swimming at the rec center, Gwen made ...