Sunday, April 30, 2017

kid updates

Miles

*The other day at dinner, Dad announced that he had lost some weight that week. I congratulated him and then you said, "Yeah, Dad's thin now! And you (looking at me) are still....thick!" :)
*You can't get enough of scouts. You are so excited to participate! We went to your first pack meeting the other night, and you were so excited to see the other boys in your den. You kept going up to them, giving them high fives, and saying, "Hey! Carter! How's it goin man?" etc. So cute.
*This past week at Grandma Linda's funeral, you finished all of your lunch at the luncheon, and then asked if you could get dessert. We said yes, and you came back from the dessert table with not 1, but an entire plate full of desserts! We told you that you had to choose just one, and you were completely heart broken, and even shocked that we wouldn't let you eat 6 desserts. You did a fair amount of pouting, which is more and more unusual for you at this point, so it kind of surprised me. It took you a full day to recover from the "heartbreak." You even tried sneaking more desserts back at Grandma Linda's house!
*You are a big movie quoter. You're always talking in movie quotes. They always seem to correlate to the topic at hand, at least in your mind. :) Sometimes, the rest of us are scratching our heads as to what that quote has to do with anything, but sometimes it's right on point. You sure remember a lot of quotes!
*You must be growing because your appetite seems big these days! Your go to extra food after a meal is a banana. Last night, you went back for 2 after a full dinner! Today at dinner at Grandma and Grandpa's house, you kept asking your cousins if you could have some of their dessert. Lindy and Caleb were very willing, but I had to rein you back. :)
*I haven't been the best at waking up early to read scriptures with you these days. It seems like your 3 siblings are on a very specific schedule to keep Dad and I up all night lately. So for the past couple of days, I'll begin making breakfast and apologize to you for not getting up to read, and I'm very pleasantly surprised to find out that you've already read them on your own! Parenting win!

Gwen

*The other night after we got you kids in bed, I unintentionally crashed on my bed and fell asleep. I woke up to you putting a blanket on me, trying to lift my head under a pillow, and you putting lotion on my feet and then my socks on my feet. I said thank you and asked what I did to deserve such a sweet gesture. You said, "You're always doing nice things for us, so I thought I'd do this for you." :)
*So around Christmas, I bought 2 backpacks on clearance to save for yours and Lindy's birthdays. Well, you found the backpacks in the gift closet and claimed a specific one for when your birthday came around. So today, (Lindy's birthday) I gave her the other backpack, and you the one that you requested- so that you could both use them this weekend when we went to Idaho for Grandma Linda's funeral. When you saw Lindy's, you decided you liked that one better and put up quite the fight. It became quite intense, and ended up with you and Lindy shouting/hitting/scratching etc. You were the main instigator so I swatted your bottom and told you to go to your room until I had a minute to come and talk to you. As you slammed your door, you screamed, "I'm such a bad sister!!!" You were beside yourself thinking about how bad you had been. It broke my heart. You and I talked and hugged for a long time on the floor in your room. Hopefully something I said helped you feel better about yourself, because you are a phenomenal sister!
*Your appetite seems so dainty these days. I worry a little bit that you're not getting enough food but you always say you're full. But that is kind of how you've always been. I still remember you being about 2 and we were leaving the Winner School where I was teaching. They had handed out some sort of treat that day that you and Miles were eating as I buckled you in your car seats. Miles had already finished his, but you took about 2 bites and then told me you were done. I was dumb-founded! Miles promptly offered to finish yours...so it wouldn't go to waste. :)
*Reading is still your favorite thing in the world. You could read all day. And you're improving all the time, so you can read more things, which you love. Your top bunk bed is usually full of books that you read as you fall asleep.

Lindy

*I love your Lindy-ese. Some favorites are: *Zebra= "Yeer-bah" *Lipstick= "Lip-Kip" *Yogurt= "Yo-Ert" (Gwen used to call it "Oh-grit".) She still calls Nail Polish, "Pol Nailish"
*You frequently tell us, "I love you SO much!" Sometimes you'll tell me how much you love me, and then list off every person in our family. You also frequently tell me, "Thank you for this yummy breakfast/lunch/dinner." Without being prompted. You are also great at saying "sorry" when your actions warrant it. Also without being prompted. It makes me so happy!
*You favorite joke is still "Poopy Diaper". It's your go-to funny line.
*Your imagination is really taking off. You'll nap about 50% of the time-usually on mom and dad's bed. When you don't fall asleep, I still expect you to stay and rest in our room for a good portion of quiet time. But your resources for entertainment are fairly limited in there. So I'll peek in on you and frequently find you in the middle of some elaborate story, using a comb and some socks, or whatever else was handy. It also means that sometimes you get into things you shouldn't- like the lotion or Dad's after shave.
*You are really into the idea of friends these days. Makes me think I should start trying to do playdates for you etc, but I'm just too tired. You cry every time I drop Miles and Gwen off for art class at the Beckstrom's house, and you're constantly saying, " I want to play with friends. Lots and lots of friends." You specifically mention Ethan and Caleb a lot.
*You have a big problem pinching Benson. Dad and I are at a loss. We've tried just talking to you about it, time outs, making you apologize and we have moved onto just pinching you back. We don't know how else to get you to stop it. If we catch you doing it, you are totally trying to sneak it in and you smile as you do it. Then once you are caught, you are very sorrowful and can deliver a very heartfelt apology. But then you'll pinch him again 15 seconds later! We're at a loss.
*You want to be in dance class so badly. I have told you over and over again, that you can take dance when you get older. Somewhere along the line, the kids decided that "older" was 3. Now that you are 3, you think you should be able to go to dance class like Gwen. I am not ready for that though. So, Gwen took it upon herself to teach you how to dance in your own little dance class. At least 3 times a day, you'll say, "Watch me Mommy!" And then move your body in some (unrehearsed) way. I'll compliment you, and then you'll say, "Yeah, I learned it in my dance class. They're my moves."
*You are really loving Hide and Seek (which you don't quite grasp yet, so your "hiding" places are hilarious). And also really into giving me "surprises". Which means, you'll pick a random object, show it to me, then tell me to close my eyes. Then you either hide the object, and lead me right to it, or just pull the object (which I've already seen) from behind your back, and say, "Surprise!"

Benson

*Thank goodness for your patience. It is much needed. The other day I had you in your bouncer while I was making breakfast (like I always do). Usually you are totally chill to just wait until I can pick you up. But that day you were a tad fussy; just a tad. So I let you whine just a bit, but when I picked you up I realized you had blown out of your diaper in a major way. No wonder you had fussed a bit! It was such a major blow out, I couldn't believe you weren't screaming for me to change you. This instance is indicative of your personality. 90% of the time, you patiently wait for me to come get you after a nap, or change your diaper, or give you more attention after I lay you on the floor while I take a bathroom break.
*You are starting to get more personality. Still not a lot of crying ever, but if you are upset, you have this really loud grunt you do.
*People keep saying how much you look like Miles.
*You are getting out of that infant stage where you can sleep anywhere, and anytime if you're tired enough. Now, you'll fall asleep in the car on trips, or in a bed/crib. Never in our arms at church etc. It's frustrating because you'll be SO tried, but refuse to go to sleep.
*When we lay you down in your crib, I still kind of swaddle you-just a bit. But then you like to get your arms out, and snuggle with a stuffed animal, then I put another blanket on your legs. It doesn't matter which stuffed animal, you just like to have one to snuggle with.
*A couple weeks ago, you got a bit sick and stopped sleeping through the night. Even after you got better, your sleeping at night was just awful. Dad and I felt like zombies for 2 weeks. We had to re-train you to get you back to sleeping through the night. It was rough, but I think you're back on track, thank goodness!
*You have the cutest habit of smiling and then leaning your head to the side, as if to say, "Aw shucks guys!"
*I don't want to jinx it, but I think you may have curly hair!! Your wispy blonde hair stands straight up on top of your head, except that it swoops back a little towards the top.
*You are doing the cutest little head tilt when you sit in your high chair. I'll feed you a few bites of something, then you'll look at me, smile, and tilt your head to the side. So I'll copy you, and then you tilt your head to the other side, and I'll copy you etc etc etc.
*you are eating more and more solid foods, but you still don't love it like I remember your other siblings loving it. You mostly tolerate solid foods.

No comments:

September 2022

Benson turns 6! He requested a chocolate and strawberry cake where candy spills out of it. :) We went swimming at the rec center, Gwen made ...