Monday, April 24, 2017

Easter 2017

This was one of those weeks where I felt like saying, "I get credit just for trying, right??" I really try to make Easter week a special one, but lately I feel like I'm just eeking by. I think the kids and I all have major spring fever, so school etc is slowing to a bare minimum these days.

We invited our friend's the Andersons over the Sunday before Easter to celebrate Passover with us. Madeline brought a Seder plate and helped explain all the symbols. (I'm bummed all I got was one "meh" picture. It was really cool.) I made our usual lamb and barley casserole, and charoset. We had some flat bread and hummus and grape juice. My kids were disappointed that dessert was just melon and yogurt with honey. It didn't make it any better when I explained that's probably what Jesus would have had for a dessert. :)

We had the elders over for dinner one night (some of my favorite elders yet), and we tried to keep our meal centered on Christ and they shared a wonderful message. Friday night, we had our James cousins over and we tried to dye eggs with silk ties. Super cool on Pinterest...not as cool in real life, but the kids had fun!

But the highlight of the week of course was having Taysom and Tucker come on Saturday to have dinner with us and do an Easter Egg Hunt! Taysom and Tucker are like celebrities at our house. :) And Lindy can't take a normal picture. As soon as she realizes there's a camera pointed at her, she preforms. :)

Sunday they woke up to find a few fun surprises in their Easter baskets. Again, I was lamenting that I just set the buckets in plain view. My mom used to go all out. Individual scavenger hunts with rhyming clues for each kid! Or every kid got a string, and the string was wound all over the house and you had to wind up the string as you followed it to find your basket. Wow! Oh well. ha! I was grateful to teach sharing time on Easter Sunday and have the opportunity to share my testimony of my Savior. When we got home I tried to drag some good photos out of everyone and got a few.


A new-ish tradition at the Garner's house is to have a "traditional" Jewish meal on Easter Sunday. We eat sitting on the floor, lots of finger foods, lots of Passover type foods. Then Grandpa takes the kids on a scavenger hunt to find symbols of Christ. It's very much looked forward to.

1 comment:

Becca said...

You guys should be living in Iowa with your farming ambitions! That is a crazy lot of chickens! How amazing to have access to so much land to do whatever you want. Incredible blessing. I love your Easter pictures! My two favorite is the one of the two girls laughing. Completely adorable. My other favorite is the one of Richie kissing Benson. They both look like models! Beautiful family and beautiful post!

September 2022

Benson turns 6! He requested a chocolate and strawberry cake where candy spills out of it. :) We went swimming at the rec center, Gwen made ...