Monday, March 18, 2013

St. Patrick's Day

I used to think that St. Patrick's Day was kind of a silly holiday that people just used as an excuse to get drunk. That may still be the case for many Americans, however I learned some things about St. Patrick's Day this year that made me appreciate it more! Did you know it's a religious holiday? (The whole "St." should have clued me in, I know) St. Patrick was the one who first used the shamrock to symbolize the three members of The Godhead. Anyway....
Since St. Patrick's fell on a Sunday this year, Richie's sister decided we could celebrate it earlier on in the week. She went all out! Good thing she was feeling festive, because we didn't do hardly anything for it!
We made Leprechaun masks, marched on rainbow feet, danced an Irish Jig, had some sensory play with rainbow jello, ate a fruit rainbow, watched the uncles fly kites, jumped on the tramp with the parachute and made a rainbow in a jar! Whew! What a fun, whirlwind of a party! We also managed to get a little cuddle time in with baby Caleb. :) Thanks aunt Makenna!!

3 comments:

Adrienne said...

Wow! You and Makenna are sure "go getters":). Just reading that made me tired. I think I will go and eat something to make me feel better about myself and my parenting skills:). I did make a version of Irish soda bread, green jello, green salad and corned beef and cabbage... No fun activities though... Love you anyway:)

Grandma and Grandpa Crosby said...

So fun! And thanks for the info about the holiday. I guess I've been a bit ignorant all these years as I didn't know/or I had forgotten that the shamrock symbolized the Godhead. Love that! So why then is the four leaf clover is the lucky one?

AND don't let Adrienne fool you......she went to plenty of work to make it a special holiday for her family. I got to sample the Irish soda bread, and the corned beef. They were wonderful.

One Opinionated Housewife said...

Thanks to Wiki, I learned about the holiday this year too, and was pleasantly surprised to discover the root of where it all began. We celebrated by getting plastered on green beer...ha ha. Actually, I am impressed with you and A for going all out.

September 2022

Benson turns 6! He requested a chocolate and strawberry cake where candy spills out of it. :) We went swimming at the rec center, Gwen made ...