Monday, February 18, 2013

Balentimes

Miles was so sad when Christmas was over that I had to tell him we were taking down the Christmas decorations so that we could get ready for his birthday. When his birthday was finished, he was extremely bummed that we had to take down those few decorations, so I convinced him to let me take them down as long as we decorated for Valentine's day. I sense a pattern here...
I have about 2 Valentine's decorations, but we put them out and got feeling festive. Miles and Gwen are at really fun ages. They really got into making "balentimes" for our friends and family and made about a million of them. I loved cutting out heart after heart and letting them decorate as much as they wanted. I remember my mom helping me make Valentine's for school every year and it brought back good memories. I always had the best homemade Valentine's to hand out and the most awesome card holder!! I also remember my mom helping me host at least one cookie decorating party for Valentine's day when I was about 9. So it never seems quite like Valentine's day without decorating sugar cookies.
We invited our friends over from a monthly play group to come over and get on a sugar high, make creative messes, decorate sugar cookies. The cookies were upstaged, however, when the garbage man came and captivated all 6 kids.



Miles helped me decorate the rest later on in the day to deliver to friends. :)


Every Valentine's Day we have our family fancy dinner. Basically we just eat something out of the ordinary and light candles at the table. It's always a hit. But to up the "wow" factor this year, we did a little chocolate fondue! I offered fruit and pretzels, but all they wanted was to dip marshmallows, go figure!

Richie got me a pedicure and as tradition calls for, I cleaned his car and left a little present inside. I sure love this small, but significant holiday.

4 comments:

Taysom Wallace said...

Those cookies look amazing! :) I love Mile's creations and that he and Gwen get so into it. And I think its so cute that the kids ran over to watch the garbage men/garbage truck :)

Becca said...

I've always loved your cleaning the car present on Valentine's Day. I still plan on doing it someday. The cookies look super! You're such a great mom!

The Wallace Family said...

Balentimes ;)
So fun - please don't ask my kids about what we did or did not do...

Grandma and Grandpa Crosby said...

Darling decorators! Beautiful cookies! Patient and creative mom!

The only cookies I made this Valentine's were for the Achievement girls daddy daughter date. But you've motivated me. Maybe I'll make some for my VTing which I haven't done yet and it's the end of the month already!

September 2022

Benson turns 6! He requested a chocolate and strawberry cake where candy spills out of it. :) We went swimming at the rec center, Gwen made ...