Monday, July 23, 2012

Settling in

We moved in on a Friday night. I'm grateful the kids (and ourselves) seemed to adjust well and there were no major melt downs about wanting to go back to Grandma's house or back to our old house. We were trying our best to keep things "normal" despite the mess of boxes everywhere, so we had our usual waffles on Saturday.
Then after cleaning and getting ready, we found the nearest splash park. Let me tell you, the parks here in Riverton have nothing on the parks in Rexburg. But it was nice to get out and do something non-house related and focus on our family. As we were running around, I couldn't help but notice (for the one-millionth time) the huge mountains right in front of me, and I thought, "This is our home now." and let out a contented sigh. I sure love living next to these beautiful mountains.







Miles still refers to this house as our "new house", but both the kids have adjusted seamlessly into these new surroundings. Maybe it's all the extra room, or an actual yard to play in. :) Most of our things are in the semi-right place by now and we're catching up on the list of necessary home improvements. Within 48 hours of moving in, our old fridge finally bit the dust, as did our hand-me-down washing machine. We quickly found a new fridge on ksl, and then my parents bestowed the most beautiful washer and dryer I have ever seen upon us. They've easily taken the lead of the nicest things we own, and we've both been caught just standing there watching the cycles go. We've also replaced the broken garbage disposal, fixed a toilet, fixed our van AGAIN (this time it was minor, thank goodness), bought a clothes line and installed it, fertilized and re-seeded the lawn, brought in some hand-me-down sod to put in some problem areas, brought in mulch to build up the flower beds, planted a pear tree, got our internet installed, and made plans to re-shingle our roof. Busy little bees, yes? All those other fun things that we want to fix up will just have to wait. I've already started hoarding the extra cash in a jar in my closet.

Today we went to a park and Miles spotted some boys his age horsing around. He forgot all formalities and just ran straight into the group and nearly tackled a kid from behind, all in fun mind you. Miles thought it was the perfect way to get in on the action, but the other kid sure didn't. I tried to help him smooth things over, but the kids wouldn't play with him after that. Miles tried tagging along, but they would tell him to stop following and run away. Did you hear that? Yeah, it was my heart breaking. They weren't being malicious, just 4 year olds, but still. Maybe it hurt me so much because I felt kind of the same way. All these other mom's were in groups, chatting away. I felt like I wasn't invited to the popular table. I spent my time erasing now unnecessary Rexburg numbers from my phone and chasing the kids. I think Miles and I are both desperate for friends. There are 2 girls that share our backyard fence line and every time he sees them, he runs out shouting, "FRIENDS! HEY!!" Luckily, they're pretty nice to him. I have to keep reminding myself that it takes time, right? Good thing we have a good time with each other.:) We made play-dough for the first time the other day since our other play-dough some how went moldy over the course of the move. Yuck.

3 comments:

Grandma and Grandpa Crosby said...

I know what it feels like to be the new kid on the block, and what it feels like to be on the outside looking in. It's discouraging. But in time friendship will come and you and your family will be cherished members of the ward and community. I have no doubt! In the mean time remain your open, outgoing and positive selves.

You have a lovely home which will only become lovelier when you are able to add your special touch to it.

Love you!

Laura Edwards said...

Chel-ray! We live near you in West Jordan. Just a hop, skip and a jump down bangeter highway! Let's play!

Laura Edwards said...

I spelled Bangerter wrong... Whatever :)

September 2022

Benson turns 6! He requested a chocolate and strawberry cake where candy spills out of it. :) We went swimming at the rec center, Gwen made ...