Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Book Review and Recipe!



I've decided, it's not enough I just tell you the good books I'm reading, but also give you a little review so that you can decide if you want to read them too! (ps I'm ALWAYS up for good book suggestions! It seems I can't get enough of them these days! That will probably change once school starts! :)
I just got done reading "Freedom Factor" by Gerald Lund, inspired to do so after a patriotic lesson in Relief Society the week after the 4th. I once again realized how uneducated I am when it comes to our country's history and procedures. So as a start to learning more about our country and our inspired constitution, I read this book. It was fabulous! Quick synopsis: Bryce Sherwood is the aid to a powerful senator in Washington. They are about to pass a bill that will basically restructure the constitution. Blind to this bill's obvious and serious downfalls, Bryce will not yield his efforts. He has been promised much power among other things if he pushes this change. At the same time, he meets a young woman who is very passionate about saving the constitution. Despite their differences, they can't help falling for each other (swoon!) Not even his new gal pal Leslie can convince him of his wrongs, so a visitor from the past, Nathanial Gorham, a signer of the constitution, comes to try and convince Bryce to change his ways and places him in, for the lack of a better phrase, an alternate universe; a United States where the constitution never existed. He sees first hand what this great land would be like without the freedoms we enjoy.
So, if you're feeling a little less patriotic than usual, this book is a quick read, educational, enjoyable and inspire you to be a better citizen...maybe! Two thumbs up!

Now, as for this recipe.... If you're sick of making banana bread with your old bananas, here's such a yummy alternative!!! I learned it from Jolene staying in Nampa this summer.

FROSTED BANANA BARS
1/2 C butter of margarine softened
2 Cups sugar
3 Eggs
1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
1 t vanilla extract
2 C flour
1 t baking soda
pinch salt
*You can also add 1 Cup Sour cream. It's not necessary, but makes them very moist!

Pour into a greased 15x10x1 inch baking pan. Bake @ 350 for 25 minutes.

FROSTING
1/2 C butter or margarine softened
1 pkg, 8 oz cream cheese
4 C powdered sugar
2 t vanilla extract

Spread over cooled bars and enjoy! Yields 3 dozen!

They are SO yummy!!

4 comments:

Becca said...

Those sound yummy!

Pili girl~ said...

I think I'm going to try to make them tonight. I have old bananas hanging around my house. ha ha ha!

Ericka said...

Alright so apparently i'm a little behind on things...You are prego! SO EXCITED ABOUT THAT!! I can't believe how fast time flies by!! congrats Rach and Rich (whom i've never met by the way!) anyways. love you CONGRATS! p.s. i live in canyonlands

The Plaisted's said...

All I have to say is mmmmm.....These were soooo good!!

September 2022

Benson turns 6! He requested a chocolate and strawberry cake where candy spills out of it. :) We went swimming at the rec center, Gwen made ...