Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Kid Updates

Miles

*You got your arrow of light! I felt bad that I forgot it was happening. Woops! Good thing we were there. Ha! You felt so proud and accomplished. As you should! As you were getting awarded things, you'd always try and give the boys next to you a high five or a handshake. You reeeeealy love scouts, so Dad and I might have to find a troop for you come January, since the church is no longer participating.
*I'm not sure I could nail it down to something specific, but both Dad and I can sense a new level of maturity in you lately. Something in your air and manners. In the way you respond to conflict and inconvenience. I don't know. You're growing up. That's all there is to it.
*You've expressed some discontent with your weight. I was a chubby kid around the same age, so your feelings of inadequacy really sting me, because I know exactly how you feel. As a grown up, looking back on my youth, I am so sad that I felt that my body was less than ideal at such a young age. I was hoping I could magically avoid that with my kids. ? So I hope I said the right things, and am doing the right things to help you through it. You're helping me stay on track with my weight loss goals by coming on board with me. We decided on some tactics to help us, and you're doing so well! Mostly, I just want you to remember that your body is wonderful and capable and a gift!

Gwen

*I am such a lucky Mom! For some time now, you and Miles wake up early in the morning, before I get up, and get started on school. Many times this also includes you getting Davy for me when he wakes up and either taking care of him while I sleep a little longer, or you'll bring him to me so I can nurse him in bed, and then you come get him and entertain him while I get going. It's amazing! I remember days of dreaming about something like this! And the thing is, you're completely happy, eager even, to do it!
*When we sing songs as a family, I'm getting a kick out of listening to you try and sing...like Dad. With vibrato, and emotion etc. It sounds very much like an 8 year old girl, trying really hard, and I love it.
*Something's going on with your breathing lately. We haven't taken you into a Dr. yet, but after talking with Aunt Becca and Uncle Chris, we think it might be asthma? You just seem short of breath all the time. Always taking big gulps of air. Sometimes it makes you seem more pale with circles under your eyes. I know I need to take you in, but I've heard the test is kind of long and intensive...I'm planning my next step. We'll get it figured out.
*When you go to dance, you'll typically wear anything that is stretchy and you can move in. Sometimes it looks very much like a "dance outfit", but most of the time it doesn't. I kind of love that about you. All of the other girls in your class tend to dress for class in the same-ish way, and I love that you are comfortable enough to just wear what you want to wear.

Lindy

*Your thinking process is really growing these days. I really should start writing your questions down, but you're constantly asking me really well thought out, curious, in depth questions about everything. I'm generally able to explain things to you, but sometimes not. A few weeks ago we were riding in the car and out of no where you asked, "How come parents always know the answers to everything?" :) I made sure you knew that we don't, but we'll always try and figure it out.
*Becksley and Riggin (neighbor friends) came over again today, and you immediately went into hostess mode, as you typically do when friends come over. You ushered them to the table to share the play-doh you were playing with. You showed them how to use it, and then monitored them as they played with it-not you. And then you directed them to the next activity-playing house in the living room, and so on. This is very typical of you. I worry a little bit, but it's so darn cute. You did the same thing the other day at the park. You found 2 little girls-younger than you-and you took over taking care of them. You pushed them on swings, helped them on the teeter-totter etc. This went on for quite a while. You seemed to be having lots of fun, and were so sad when they had to go.
*Your greatest desire is to be helpful. So when I ask somebody else to set the table, or someone beats you to grabbing a diaper for Davy, or I tell you to not worry about switching out the trash bags, it sometimes elicits a huge tantrum. It's funny and frustrating to me that you want to help so much, but the tantrum often times causes more trouble. :) Oh my Lindy. :)

Benson

*You are maturing and growing in lots of fun ways. You are frequently apologizing (on your own) for mistakes you make. For instance, today we were rushing to get to church and you had opened the garage door. It's semi-broken, making it a pain to shut it again. I was agitated. When I got back in the car you apologized, very sincerely, all on your own. You are also developing lots of empathy. The other day I was having each of you kids take a turn helping me paint our family room. By the time it was your turn I was frustrated (again) because I hadn't had any alone time and all of you kept needing things. I shouted for everyone to get in their rooms. And you just very tenderly put your arm around my neck and shoulder, snuggled in and asked, "Are you feeling frustrated Mommy?" I was able to take a deep breath and keep going, thanks to your sweetness.
*You still are really drawn to non-fiction books. The other day you wouldn't leave Grandma's house without taking her college level human anatomy book home with you. And you've been "reading" it every night. Today at the D.I., among all the books, you found one called "Explosions" which was a book that gave you and inside look of machines.
*You HATE church lately. Hate it. We have to really negotiate and handle you with kid gloves to get you to go to nursery most weeks, and you actively try to escape. (poor nursery leaders). We think it's because there are a few boys in there about your age who push you around quite a bit. I'm proud that for the most part, when other kids your age push you around, you usually take it in stride and don't retaliate.
*You are so full of emotion! When you are mad, you're really mad. But usually your hard emotions really don't take that long too pass. You're so full of happy! And when you are happy, you're totally thrilled! Not just a smile about something, but exuberance! And such simple things make you so joyful. I love it!

Davy

*Since I last did an update, you've started crawling and pulling yourself up on things! You're not a super fast crawler yet. It's still very slow and takes a lot of effort on your part. It's adorable, and I'm glad you're not too fast yet! However, this is one of my least favorite baby stages because it means your find every.little.thing on the floor and put it in your mouth! I have to swipe your mouth multiple times a day for crazy things you put in there.
*You have tried so many new foods! I'm fairly confident in giving you most food, as long as it's "mushable". But now that you've had more exposure, you no longer like to have just one food/flavor/texture when you eat now. You'll eat more if we switch up bites between different things. And like your siblings, you like it when I scoop a little food up onto another piece of food, instead of using a spoon. Like some mashed sweet potato on top of a bit of banana.
*You got constipated again. Man, it makes you SO angry. The night we came home from Thanksgiving you were constipated, probably teething, and exhausted from lack of sleep and traveling. It was the angriest you've ever been. I would start to get worried and then remember that this outburst was warranted. We rode it out all night, but man, you were grumpy.
*I'm not sure what I wrote last update, but in the relatively recent past, you've learned to wave, clap and blow kisses. Makes us all smile so much!!
*You have started pulling a hilarious face that looks kind of like a smile, with your bottom jaw jutted way out. When you're really into it, you also put your hands in fists and shake your whole body. :)
*You know the sign for all-done and are starting to use it on your own and in the right context. You also said your 1st word on your first birthday! "Dad!" :) You've been playing around with a few words, but this was the first time it really seemed obvious that you knew what you were saying.

No comments:

September 2022

Benson turns 6! He requested a chocolate and strawberry cake where candy spills out of it. :) We went swimming at the rec center, Gwen made ...