Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Davy Turns 1!!

I can't believe it came so quickly. My last baby is one. Crazy. It's the end of an era. Richie said, "Well, we don't have babies anymore!" And I flat out refused. "Davy is still a baby!!! He's not walking yet, so that means he's not a toddler, and that means he's a baby!" :) I thought it would be a lot more heart wrenching, but it was surprisingly routine. ??? I think it might have something to do with the fact that he's still so small. He still seems very much a baby to me. I'll write more about all the fun things he's into lately on a kid update post soon, but it should be mentioned here that I took him in for his first well child check since he's been born (ha!) and he was in the 90% for head circumference (right on track), but only 50% for height (Huh??) and 15% for weight (what the what??) I don't think I've ever had a baby lower than 80% in anything, so I was dumbfounded. I asked my awesome doctor, in all sincerity, if he was ok. She said he's fine, just maybe inherited some small genes somewhere along the line. Mind Blown. It will be fun to see how he grows up and changes. But for now, he's still my little baby!

On the day of his birthday, we made his favorite pumpkin sourdough pancakes and made sure he got a #1 pancake with a candle. He had no idea what was going on, and was still getting over a cold, so he was not entirely happy or overjoyed with his pancake, candle, or present. (Lindy wrapped up her old Barbie car to give to him, since it plays music. :) ) And that was about it, as far as celebrating goes on his birthday!


That Sunday we celebrated with family. He LOVED the sweet potato fries grandma made. (I think sweet potatoes are his favorite food) I made him a chocolate zucchini cake with blue icing (way more blue than anticipated), which he really enjoyed. He got a few outfits from Mom and Dad, and Grandma and Grandpa, and then an awesome stuffed animal from us. With our no spend challenge, we decided that birthdays get $100 to be spent however you'd like. Since Davy won't be planning a party, and the clothes I had for him I bought on clearance last year, we splurged and bought an expensive, hand knitted, stuffed fox that also provides 10 meals for food banks in needy areas, through our purchase. He seems to enjoy it, and I'm glad about that. Benson wishes it was his. :)


Davy is a joy to us all. I'm so grateful we have him here to teach my other kids how to handle babies, to teach me to slow down and savor things, to make us all laugh during otherwise tense or boring moments, and mostly to cuddle me in the mornings when I nurse him. I don't know if I can give it up! Richie jokes that I'm spoiling him and that I'll be nursing him till he's a teen. *eye roll* But being my last baby, I can't help if I just want to hang onto his little-ness forever! And he officially said his first word on his first birthday: "Dad!" :) Of course it sounds like "Da!", but he knew exactly what he was saying and what it meant. :) Happy 1st Birthday Davy!!

No comments:

September 2022

Benson turns 6! He requested a chocolate and strawberry cake where candy spills out of it. :) We went swimming at the rec center, Gwen made ...