Friday, June 1, 2018

Garner Get-Together

Scheduling time with multiple families is always tricky, so now that the Garner family has 4 separate families, making time for a reunion is getting more and more complicated. We managed to find one weekend when we could all come together in May. We stayed close to home here in the valley and had a lot of fun with each other.

We started Friday at Thanksgiving point. The rest of the family was running late, so the kids and I used our pass to visit Farm Country. We got in a pony ride and seeing most of the different animals. Something I want to remember about this outing: The line for the pony rides was long, so I waited in the line while the kids went around to look at the animals, pushing Benson in his stroller, while I kept an eye on them from afar. Miles pulled some quarters out of his pocket, bought some animal feed and shared it with all of his siblings so they could feed the animals. :). It was a really nice outing, until we were leaving and Lindy tripped and smacked her face on the concrete. She had a major swollen/split lip for the rest of the weekend.


Then we met everyone at the new Family History Library in Lehi. We had fun using their iPads and learning more about our ancestors. We ate a picnic lunch before heading to the curiosity museum. Love this shot of the kids walking in holding hands. :)


Probably my favorite moment of the curiosity museum was when just Lindy and I were in "Kidopolis" and they have a little stage with dress-ups where the kids can preform "plays". Lindy can be incredibly shy, but she can also be SO expressive. She timidly asked me to put on costume after costume, and then danced for me as I clapped. With each dance she warmed up more and more and really enjoyed herself. It was fun to watch her "blossom".


The next day we went on a hike up behind the Draper temple called Ghost falls. I was proud of my kids for doing their best during the hike. It was longer than I had anticipated, and there was definitely some whining, but overall they handled it like champs.


We went to Riverton park to picnic lunch again, and then let the kids play. 3 favorite moments here:
1. Gwen was pushing Emerson and Benson on the swings and teasing them and playing with them. They were cracking up, and Gwen was such a ham, getting them to laugh. It was adorable!


2. Jacob was pushing Lindy and Caleb on the swings. The kids would ask him to make a sound like some random thing, like a truck or a slide etc. And then Jacob would make the "sound" and they would crack up! They were having a hard time catching their breath they were laughing so hard!


3. The 2 older kids are becoming more and more capable. They are so responsible and every little bit of responsibility they take on, takes a little bit of stress off of me. It's glorious to ask one of them to follow Benson around the park and help him, and I can just sit and chat. :) Gwen was helping Benson on the playground for a long time, so I went to go relieve her. She said, "It's ok Mom, I love helping Benson!" Then she helped him up some stairs and rode the slide down with him. As she came down she let out a contented sigh and said, "I just love being a big sister!"


After resting at home, we met back up at Mom and Dad's for dinner and to celebrate my birthday. It was an awesome weekend with everyone!!

No comments:

September 2022

Benson turns 6! He requested a chocolate and strawberry cake where candy spills out of it. :) We went swimming at the rec center, Gwen made ...