Tuesday, August 8, 2017

The rest of July

Another herb class with Grandma Garner! It's been really fun watching the kids pick up on these things.


Miles had his first scout day camp. I don't think he could have been more excited than he was. He came home completely dirty and tired both days, so I'd call it a success.


Lindy loves Benson SO much. Sometimes,(more often than not) it's hard for her to contain her love. Multiple times a day, enough times to drive me crazy, I have to pull her off of him, remind, scold, redirect...repeat.


Gwen made me this magformers heart one night while I was at the gym. But before I got back, Lindy had smooshed it. So she made me another one the next day! Now that's love. :)


Uncle Tanner gave his farewell talk. That meant a big dinner at Grandma and Grandpa's house and getting to see Ross, Amanda and Emerson! We went over the day before he went into the MTC to say our official goodbyes. We're planning on taking the same picture with all the grandkids when he gets back to see how much everybody's grown!


This picture just fill my heart up with gratitude. Long story short, it had been a long morning. After the library, the kids begged to go to the park right next to it. Being the "nice" mom I am, I said, "FINE! But you only have 10 minutes max to play. We have to get home." I put Benson and Lindy in the swings and was pushing them both. It wasn't long before Miles and Gwen volunteered to take over the pushing duties. They even did all the animated things you do while pushing a swing, that Mom was too tired to do. Lots of people tell me that things will get easier as my kids get older. That the older ones will help out more and become more capable. I really want to believe that...but most of the time I can't see any evidence of that happening now...or ever. So this particular instance was special to me, because I actually saw a light at the end of the tunnel! Not that I'm wishing away this stage of life. It' just tiring. And it's nice to see that certain things will get easier.


Another night in the cul-de-sac with neighbors! Kickball, whiffle ball, pie face, treats, and good company.


Splash pad day. I had tried to get some friends to come with us, but no one responded, so we went anyway. Miles was upset that there were no friends there to play with. So I suggested he try making friends with some (rowdy and older) boys playing there also. They had brought water guns and were involved in some sort of "war". He tried his hardest, but the boys made it clear, multiple times that there "game" was closed to outsiders. Even after Miles offered them free gum! Can you imagine? :) I couldn't help but scowl a little at these boys moms for not interfering, and at the same time realizing that they can't micromanage everything. It was just heartbreaking to see him try so hard and fail every time. Gwen even stood up to these boys on her brother's behalf, which made my mama heart proud. We talked about it at length, and the point I tried to make was that now they know how it feels to be left out, and how they wouldn't want to make anybody else feel that way. Hopefully that sinks in.


Gwen is a master bike rider now! She was hesitant to keep trying, because she's so comfortable on her scooter. But now that she's got it, you can just see the pride in her eyes when she rides! Yay Gwen!


Richie was transferred to another school in West Valley this year. Hunter high school. His big joke is that when they came in to tell him about the transfer, they also took his measurements for a bullet proof vest. It is a 51% ethnic school, (Poly, Mexican, and Asian mostly) and 49% Caucasian. He's really looking forward to it and can't wait to start teaching. I took the kids to check it out the other day. It's always fun to visit dad at work.


Speaking of Richie's students, some of his past students from Murray high asked him to teach a swing dance class. A student's mother had a venue for us to use and actually paid for us to come teach! A date night that we get paid for?? Yes please! We haven't taught swing in years, but it seemed to come back pretty easily and was so fun to be back in that setting. They liked it so much, they set up another class for us and hope it make it a regular thing! Yay!


Dad and Gwen went on a date to the outdoor movies at Thanksgiving Point. They were early, so they got ice cream and then watched Trolls. The best part of these dates it that it becomes clearly obvious how special the kids feel.


And speaking of dates, Richie and I snuck away on one. Christy called the day before and said she would take the kids tomorrow so we could get to the temple. It was much needed. The Jordan River is closed for remodeling, so we went to Oquirrh Mountain, but it was closed for cleaning! So we went to the Draper temple, which I believe was my first time being inside! How cool that we have 3 temples within 10 minutes of each other!


Making ice cream at Grandma and Grandpa Garners!


Caught a sweet moment between Gwen and Benson. :)

No comments:

September 2022

Benson turns 6! He requested a chocolate and strawberry cake where candy spills out of it. :) We went swimming at the rec center, Gwen made ...