Monday, August 14, 2017

Camping in July

Miles is an enthusiastic new scout, and Richie wants to capitalize on that. So they sat down one Sunday and planned a camping trip for our family and the James family. I didn't do much camping growing up, as in, none at all. The times I have been camping (As a single person, or newly wed) I generally enjoyed myself, however, camping with 4 small kids sounded torturous to me.

We loaded up, and only went about 20 minutes south to "The Willows" campground, to play it safe and close to home. About 2 minutes into setting up camp, Gwen got her first hornet/wasp/whatever sting. I was kicking myself I didn't bring any first aid, but we did ok with constant ice on it. The James family got there, Grandpa Garner came to help us and we made tinfoil dinners. We did a little star gazing, a little nature walk, learned the art of the walkie-talkie, and made peach cobbler. Yum!

It was around 9pm, I had already sweat about half of my body weight, and decided that Benson was probably tired enough. Thinking I was so smart, we went and laid down in the tent before everyone else, hoping to help Benson fall asleep before everyone else piled in. It was a lost cause. We worked with him till 3 in the morning with no success. Then Richie said the most attractive words he has ever said to me, "We are getting you out of here!" He maneuvered the truck around trees and other parked cars in the pitch black with expert level skill, and I drove back to Riverton with Benson. We crashed for a few glorious hours, and then went back to participate in the festivities the next morning.

The kids went kayaking on the river, they made cool crafts with Aunt Makenna, we made some lunch, and then packed up. Overall, it was a good experience. That's been a constant theme in my head these days. Parents sacrifice all sorts of things, in hopes that their kids will "have a good experience." I want my kids to experience camping and all that goes along with it, so we make sacrifices, right?? That being said, I think I'm good for another...year or so. :)

1 comment:

Torgersons said...

Oh my gosh, YES. How come camping is so fun for kids but SO SO miserable for the mom? We have a camping trip coming up with all the Torgersons, and I'm dreading it so hard.

September 2022

Benson turns 6! He requested a chocolate and strawberry cake where candy spills out of it. :) We went swimming at the rec center, Gwen made ...