Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Birthday and Baptism

The Sunday before Miles turned 8, we had dinner at that Garner's house and celebrated both he and Jeffrey.



On Monday, I tried to do a few things here and there to make the day feel special to him, but what was the most exciting thing was going to Nickel Mania! Gave the kids each a cup of nickels and they were feelin pretty rich. The place was totally run down and kind of creepy, but the kids had such a blast. On the ride home, Miles told us he was so spoiled and "thanks Mom and Dad for making it such a perfect day." :)


Everything about the Baptism was wonderful. These types of big events are always a little surreal to me. I kept having to pinch myself to realize that I am old enough to have a kid getting baptized. Crazy! He was so ready though. It was extremely rewarding to watch him make this step.
He was the only one from our ward getting baptized that month, so he got to choose all the participants, which is pretty special. I wrote down lots of details in his "baby" book, so I don't think I need to write them here, but suffice it to say that the spirit was very strong. I know I'm biased here, but it was the most tender and reverent baptism I can remember being to. My favorite thing that was said was something Brother Murray (1st counselor and conducting) said. He made reference to how I had Miles come up and look out on the crowd when I was giving my talk. I wanted him to get a visual of all the people there who loved and supported him. When brother Murray made his remarks, he mentioned that sometimes in life you may look out and not see anyone, and that's because, like your mother during her talk, they are all behind you- ready to support you and help see you through anything. He had Miles look down the row at our family and told him that these people (Mom, Dad, Gwen, Lindy Benson) especially will be your biggest supports and cheerleaders. I lost it at that point- because it's true. Afterward we had lunch with family and friends. I was so grateful for the support we had and I felt so uplifted by everyone's involvement. What a happy day for our family!! I was sad that I had to miss church the next day because I was sick. I heard he gave a really sweet testimony. Love that boy of mine.

1 comment:

Torgersons said...

I got teary reading this post. I'm going to be such a wreck when Owen gets baptized this summer. Miles is such a cute boy!

September 2022

Benson turns 6! He requested a chocolate and strawberry cake where candy spills out of it. :) We went swimming at the rec center, Gwen made ...