Wednesday, May 4, 2016

The Rest of April

Sisters
I remember when Gwen was finally old enough to be a friend to Miles, and not just the baby sister hanging around. It was such a fun discovery and transition for everyone. Lindy is getting to be pretty grown up these days. In fact, we even moved around the kid's rooms so that there is officially a boy's room and a girl's room. I was a little nervous about the transition, for a couple of reasons. Miles and Gwen have ALWAYS shared a room. I was nervous they would miss each other. Also, this meant that Lindy would be out of the crib and into a bed. The rooms aren't all cute yet, like I would like them to be, but they are functional and the kids made the transition so smoothly! Although Miles is not so patiently awaiting the arrival of his little roommate. I think it's played at least a little part in the new relationship growing between Gwen and Lindy. They are starting to really bond together, and it is so fun to watch. Here's a few shots of them, some of which I snuck through windows so that I wouldn't disrupt the magic.




The view outside my front door every spring and every fall is spectacular, thanks to our neighbor's trees. It always kind of takes me by surprise. In the Spring, the trees are white and pink. In the Fall, they're bright orange and burgundy. Also, a bit ago we made our little island in the lawn bigger. We put in a birdhouse a neighbor was getting rid of, and some big rocks another neighbor was getting rid of. :) We moved some plants around and planted a bunch of bulbs. It makes me happy every time I see it. We're also utilizing our little space by the front window to squeeze in some cold weather crops. We've got carrots, radishes, lettuce, spinach and onions. So far we've been enjoying the lettuce and spinach, and can't wait to enjoy the rest!



Miles opened his first bank account. He just got it in his head one day, and we had to do it. He was so proud and wants to check his balance every day to see if he's earned any interest. After we got it all set up, I realized that he had just deposited $42. I did some quick math in my head and asked him how he had $42?? He said, "my chores, my job (Dog Poop Scooper! He gave his job of rolling in garbage cans to Gwen, and he's chosen to clean up our neighbors yards on Saturday. He makes more money that way!), my birthday money..." Even with all of that, I knew he couldn't have that much money. Then he told me that he and Gwen trade money sometimes. He explained that sometimes she gives him ten $1 bills, and he gives her ten dimes, and so on. I couldn't believe it!! I knew he wasn't doing it maliciously, but we had to have a little talk. Meanwhile, Gwen's piggy bank was pretty much wiped out. Good thing her garbage can business is booming!



Our dear Helen passed away. Of course we miss her, but we feel mostly happy that she is back with her Karl and free of pain. At the funeral, the kids were doing great, until Gwen had a tender realization. She was coloring a picture and said, "I'm going to save this for Helen for when she comes back alive." I said, "Sweetheart, she is up in Heaven now. You won't get to see her again until you go up to Heaven." And then she broke down. She figured Helen had passed away for a short time, but would be resurrected sooner than later and she'd get to come be with us again here on earth. She looked at me with tears streaming down her face and said, "But Mom! She has to come back alive because of what Jesus did!!" I tried to explain that she will be resurrected, but we will have to wait to see her again. It was pretty hard to console her.



Could she get any cuter? :) Those are the same overalls I wore when I was little. She was just killing me with cuteness with the overalls, pigtails, and boots. Had to snap a picture.


A guy in our ward started selling Hoppy Taws. Remember those? He offered to lend out his pattern for a hop-scotch court, and we took him up on it! I need to go get an actual Hoppy Taw now. The rocks the kids are using aren't working. :)



Tanner is involved in lots of things. Which means we usually have an excuse to see a show of some sort on a fairly regular basis. This time, he was in the ballet, "Giselle" as one of the leads. I took the older two, and they insisted we dress up. :) We got back home after bed=time, but they didn't seem to mind.


School
So many days, I look at the kitchen table and think, "THIS is homeschool." I wish it was a more aesthetic experience sometimes, but really it just means lots of chaos and messes. But even though it drives me a little crazy, I look at it and think that something is going right. There are art projects hanging in the window, a science project near by (we are studying plants these days), and other craziness scattered around, but...I think it's working.



When we wrapped up our review on the human body, I told the kids to draw any body system they wanted. When Miles handed me his picture, I asked him what body system this was and he said, "The Respiratory! See the lungs!" :) I'm still laughing.


Here are a few supplementary projects to go with our plants unit. We made an earth worm habitat, so that we could see the trails they made inside. Making it together was a better experience than the actual outcome. Not as much "wow" factor as I was hoping for. Somewhere along the line, we picked up this water science kit. One of the experiments was all about how to filter water. It was pretty magical.


We celebrated Earth Day by dropping off Gwen's can collection (another one of her neighborhood jobs) to the recycling center (and earning another $2.50! Boo-yah!), dropping off plastic bags to recycle at the grocery store, weeding our garden, making these super easy earth day cookies, and reading a few books on the subject. Overall, a pretty fun homeschool day.


Other notables: Miles's grammar study is moving along nicely. Also pictured, worms in dirt and history. Whenever I read them the history chapter for the week, I try and have something for them to quietly do as I read, to keep them on task; things like play-doh, legos etc. This night it was eating dessert. :) Thought this treat was fit with our science unit, so we went with it. :)



2 comments:

Becca said...

That story about Miles cracks me up! I love that he is always doing jobs to earn money. Just yesterday, my sister was saying that Theo should be a "pooper scooper" around the neighborhood and I told her that it was a great idea! I love that Miles is doing that already.

Your homeschool projects are so fantastic! You're killin' it!

Grandma and Grandpa Crosby said...

Still laughing over the money exchange story! I think Russ & Ben used to do that to Adrienne and you.......on purpose! Admire you so much for all the great homeschool stuff that you do!

September 2022

Benson turns 6! He requested a chocolate and strawberry cake where candy spills out of it. :) We went swimming at the rec center, Gwen made ...