Sunday, April 5, 2015

Small and Simple

With Spring now here, I've been thinking a lot about my role as a mother to small children. In the Spring, everything is new and small. I see the blossoms on our fruit trees and have a hard time imagining that in a few short months, this small blossom will be a peach! Or the teeny tiny beginnings of the sweet pea plants poking up through the dirt, and I can't believe that soon we will have yummy sugar snap peas to munch on.

My children are young. They are just beginning. I can no more see a miniscule lettuce seed and imagine large crispy leaves in my salad, than I can see my beautiful babies and imagine them as full grown adults with children of their own. It is because of this limited perspective that my days are sometimes long, tedious and hard. I know plenty of Moms who say things like, "It's a tough job, but I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world." I've probably said things like that before. It's true! I totally believe it! But some days are just hard. Period. Some days I want to crawl into a hole and never come out again. Scratch that, I want to be 17 again, during a St. George summer, and have NO major responsibilities. I would sit by a pool and soak up some Vitamin D, and then go to Harmons, (in my swimming suit because I'm still that confident about my body! Ha!) and get some ice cream with my friends. Yep. Some days I can't see past the poop, whining and endless chatter. I long for solitude and enough silence to hear my own thoughts.

But one day, these small and simple days of raising my young children will be gone, and I know that I will miss a lot of it. I don't think I will miss washing out cloth diapers, but I will miss a lot of things. And so I keep trying, and failing, and trying again. The scripture tells us that by small and simple means, great things are come to pass. I'm so excited to see the great things that will come to pass.


1 comment:

Grandma and Grandpa Crosby said...

I know! And you are right on all accounts! It is hard to see through the mundane to the great things that will surely come to pass. But hang in there, and find things every day to enjoy and look forward too as well. And remember that the buds are as much of a miracle as the fruit. Love you so much!

September 2022

Benson turns 6! He requested a chocolate and strawberry cake where candy spills out of it. :) We went swimming at the rec center, Gwen made ...