Thursday, January 3, 2013

Book Review with Attitude

I LOVE January! No, I'm not being sarcastic. January is like I've been driving in the car with the music full blast for a month, and then *click* I turn it off and there is blessed silence. I'm slowly adding to my January traditions, but I always purge our filing cabinet and organize our files from the past year and then finalize our budget. I feel on top of the mountain for the first time since October and like I have some control. It's glorious.
Another thing I love doing in January is transitioning over to a new planner. I not only plan day-to-day stuff in there, but I keep lots of lists. Movies I want to own, what to give everyone for Xmas and how much it costs, books I've read, and books I want to read. (Bringing me to my post today.) Similar to last year, I just wanted to record what I read last year for my own silly reasons and also to possibly recommend some good reads to those of you who are as persnickety about making books lists as myself. I tried to out-read myself this year, from the previous year, but I failed miserably. I guess we went for quality this year, not quantity? *Warning, this post is LONG. I don't expect you to read all of it. But check out the pictures at the end, for sure.

*Maryjane's Life book-Recipe book-Idea book: By Maryjane Butters
A friend of mine who shares some common quirky interests gave me this beast of a book. Maryjane is a former Mormon, single mom of 2, and has a farm in Idaho where she basically lives off the land. So this book is her compilation of random things she's learned, including gardening, making her own organic fuel, re purposing things, ultra-organic recipes etc. Didn't really like the way it was organized, but entertaining enough.

*God Wants a Powerful People: By Sheri Dew
I don't remember details, but it's a typical Sheri Dew book. Powerful, short, easy to read, makes me want to underline it all.

*Supernanny: How To Get The Best From You Kids: Jo Frost.
Have you ever watched that show, "Supernanny"? She's a British nanny who goes in to homes and replaces chaos with order, basically. I think it's an older show, but it was on Hulu and I found myself getting hooked. The book is basically a summary of the show. Really good practical, no-nonsense advice for raising well behaved children.

*Trowel and Error: By Sharon Lovejoy
I feel like I shouldn't even include this one. It was a browsing book, really. You know, the kind you pick up at a doctor's office or in the bathroom or something. It has a bunch of good, sometimes silly, tips about gardening.

*Mere Christianity: C.S. Lewis
Awesome. Why did it take me so long to read this? Another book where I want to underline everything and memorize it so I can spout it off and sound really smart. My favorite part was when he talks about love and how "being in love" is different from "loving someone". Although being in love is wonderful and essential, you can't stay in love forever. You'd be exhausted and unaccomplished. The idea is to let that turn into truly loving someone. Fairly short, fairly easy read.

*Ezra Taft Benson: A Biography: Sheri Dew
The first year or so Richie and I were married, we read a talk President Benson gave about money, government, etc etc and it changed our marriage. I'm pretty sure that was a pivotal moment for us. So I was very excited about running across his biography in the library. What an amazing man! What an amazing family! What do you expect from a prophet I guess, but holy cow, I was blown away. Makes me want to name a son Benson. Long read, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

*Gone With The Wind: Margaret Mitchell
I was always intimidated by this book because it's so huge! However, I think I must have read it quicker than any book I read this year. It was fantastic! I couldn't finish it quick enough. I just couldn't contain my excitement and frequently made Richie sit down and listen to me explain the plot and on and on. I'm sure he loved it. :) I just wanted him to be prepared for when I made him sit down and watch the movie with me. The movie did what it could, I mean how can you condense that many pages into a normal movie? But I was disappointed it left out so many details, as is the case with most books turned into movies.


*Original Fast Foods: James and Coleen Simmons

Richie's family drastically changed their diet about a year after we got married for a bunch of reasons. This was one of the first books that they read when they decided to make changes. We are slowly but surely getting on the bandwagon, one change at a time, but it's taken me about 4 years to actually read this book. Really good information about what we eat and how it affects our bodies short and long term. Full of yummy recipes at the back.

*Maryjane's Outpost: Maryjane Butters
Another Maryjane book given to me by the same friend. This one is significantly less long, has the same tone as the first, but focuses more on living in the outdoors. Whether it be roughing it and camping, or "glamping" in canvas tents with antique wash basins. Another fun book to browse through.

*Gone too Soon: Sherri Wittwer
My sister and her husband had a stillborn baby earlier this year, Charlie. It was a sad time especially for their family, but for all of us. The most difficult part was not knowing what to say or how to help them. So my sister gave me this book which has lots of first hand accounts from parents who have lost children and what they did and did not appreciate. It was a great read.

*Rough Stone Rolling: Lyman Bushman
So I read this thinking I was so great and was going to be so informed afterwards. I even used information from it in a talk I was asked to give about Joseph Smith. Then I found out that the brethren kind of frown on this book. It wasn't too hard to figure out why. There is nothing slanderous, as far as I know, but it puts Joseph Smith on a lower level I guess. While I was reading it, I actually really appreciated a more "humanized" version of the Prophet. It made me think, "Hey, he was just an ordinary guy, but did extraordinary things." But I can see why the brethren don't require us all to read it. It was super long, and I had a hard time getting through it.

*Silas Marner: George Elliot
In 8th grade, my English teacher handed out a list of books we should read before we get to college. There's at least 100. By the time I got to college I may have read 5. However, I have kept that list pinned to my cork board ever since and slowly but surely I'm checking them all off. Silas Marner was on the list. It was short, but surprisingly hard to get into. It's an old book, so transitioning into that type of language always takes me a bit. However, once I got into it, I couldn't read it fast enough. What a twisted plot! What interesting characters! Silas is a quiet man who is dealt a bad hand, which basically shuts him down emotionally. He moves to a new town, and is "the weird guy" that little kids are all afraid of. He, the town weaver, keeps to himself and only has one thought: to make money. After he has hoarded money for decades, it is mysteriously stolen one night. Not long after, a baby wanders in to his cottage and Silas, the man who had shut down, begins to blossom again. Wonderful read.

*Ira Nathaniel Hinckley : A Biography
Ira is my great-great-grandpa and is the man who built Cove Fort. Some of his descendants compiled a history of his life and I am so grateful. It was inspiring to read about my ancestors and think that some of their good qualities may have made their way down to me. If you're a member of my family, read it! :)

*Great Expectations: Charles Dickens
Another twisted plot! Reading Dickens makes me feel smart. Like I should be saying, with a pipe, "Mmm'yes, I happen to be reading Dickens this fortnight." Or something like that. I think I'll read more of him. Pip is plucked from the bowels of poverty to be raised as a gentleman by an unknown benefactor. Really, that's the plot in a one sentence. The characters drive this book. You love some and really hate the others, and then some you love and hate at the same time! Little bit longer, but worth the read.

*Plain and Precious: Beppie Harrison
My mother-in-law let me borrow this book at the beginning of last year. An LDS woman chooses a scripture each day and then writes her thoughts on it. So I just read one entry every day when I read my scriptures. I wouldn't say it was life changing, but she writes honestly and it was entertaining.

*Jacob T. Marley: R. William Bennet
This book is to "The Christmas Story" by Dickens (mmmyes- said with pinky up!) as "Wicked" is to "The Wizard of Oz". I was afraid this Bennet guy was going to mess up one of my favorite books, but instead he enhanced it. It's written in the same style and focuses more on Marley instead of Scrooge. There are some wonderful parallels to the atonement and it was a quick read.

So now it's your turn, what were some favorite books you read this year? I need to fill up my book list for 2013.



Here comes the attitude. One day, I was in the middle of getting Gwen ready and she suddenly refused to let me put her clothes on and ran to the bathroom to brush her teeth. I decided to leave her alone cause I wasn't in the mood for a fight, and when I went in to get her about 5 minutes later, this is how I found her, cheesin' it in front of the mirror in her undies. I took about a million pictures because she pulled about a million faces, but I'll spare you the time it would take to look through all of them, and give you my favorite 3.




She had no idea I was behind her taking pictures because she was so enamored with herself. Here she is realizing I'm behind her.



And here is the ensuing fit. I was laughing so hard taking these pictures, which only made her scream louder. Would you blame me if I said I'm a little scared for her teenage years? :)


9 comments:

The Wallace Family said...

LOVE all of Gwen's pictures and expressions!! I have a goal to read 52 books this year. I think I read close to that this year - of course many of them were 5th, 6th, and 7th grade books. My favorite fictional work was probably Unwind - but I also really enjoyed The Book Thief, Miss Spitfire, The Boy Who Dared, Divergent, and The Watchers. For nonfiction I really enjoyed Unbroken. My sister in law said her favorite book for last year was Bonds that Make Us Free. I am planning on reading that ASAP.

Becca said...

I think my goal is to read 30 books this year. I'm not sure how many books I read last year, but I read the entire Anne of Green Gables collection. I think you would like them, if you haven't already read them all. My favorite was Anne's college years and the last book which is about her daughter.
I LOVED reading Gone With The Wind! There actually is a sequel to the book that a major fan wrote, but I heard it isn't worth reading. Too bad, because I felt like the book ended too soon. I really enjoyed some of the other books you mentioned also. Maybe we can talk about them next time I see you!

One Opinionated Housewife said...

Anna Karenina is a must read, although it looks intimidating upon first glance, you will have a difficult time putting it down. There will be parts toward the end that you will need to skim through because the character goes on and on and on about this, that, and the other, but it is the most remarkable book of fiction that I have ever read. I know that Becca has read it, so you should read it too and we can have a lengthy discussion about it later.

Jeff and Lori said...

I loved A Tale of Two Cities and if you haven't already read The Scarlet Pimpernel, that's a favorite. This year I also enjoyed Princess Academy. The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom is also amazing.

Andi said...

Wow, girl. I am super impressed with how many books you read this year! When do you find the time? I love to read but always feel like there's too much to do. I have a goal to read 12 books this year.

Taysom Wallace said...

I agree Princess Academy and the Hiding Place are great! A few books I want to read are Jesus the Christ, Little Women again, Unwind, anything by Sheri Dew, Stand for Something by President Hinckley and Josephus. And perhaps the Federalist Papers and Mere Christianity that sounded interesting. All sound wonderful and informative. Good luck! And Gwen is so cute! She is such a little model. :)

Grandma and Grandpa Crosby said...

I am such a slacker! If I've read ten books this year I'd be surprised........unless you count The Book of Mormon as 15 books(?).....which would raise my total to 25! Just before Christmas I read "The Winds & The Waves" historical fiction about the saints who came by ship to America by Dean Hughes.....not as good as his other books, but easy and informative. I just read a little book entitled The Greatest Gift by Philip Van Doren Stern. It is the book that formed the basis for the motion picture "It's a Wonderful Life". Can't say it's GREAT literature, but I enjoyed it! Next I want to read The Book Thief because I've heard so many good things about it!

I'm so glad you are enjoying reading family history along with your fiction and classic literature.

Loved the pictures of poser Gwen!

Adrienne said...

Wow! That is awesome Rach - I don't know how you make the time to do everything..... If you need me I will be eating chocolate for the next week and feeling sorry for myself :). I really look up to you!

Katie said...

Ok I've put the Ezra Taft Benson biography and Original Fast Foods on my list for this year! We're reading The Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis for our book club this month (not about divorce just fyi), last year we also read the Hiding Place, amazing book, and These Is My Words, also amazing. We read The Glass Castle too and it was really interesting, but if you have a really hard time with language, skip it. Another one on my list this year is Ender's Game.

September 2022

Benson turns 6! He requested a chocolate and strawberry cake where candy spills out of it. :) We went swimming at the rec center, Gwen made ...