Friday, November 19, 2010

The reality

My mom reminded me last night that this blog is overdue for another post. I heartily agreed with her, but argued that nothing going on is post worthy. She said that if I'm doing this for family history in any part (which I am) that it shouldn't matter if it's exciting and that even the day-to-day stuff is fun to read for her. I give you the reality of the past few weeks:

Exhibit A:
When the old owners left, they took the nicer fridge they had bought for this apartment and gave us the extra one they had. It worked just fine until water started leaking out the bottom. No problem, we can put a towel underneath! Ta-Da! Then it started smelling like something crawled in and died. I cannot adequately describe how horrible it smelled. Thank you pregnant nose. No, well my nose is not actually pregnant, but...oh you know what I mean. But we dealt with the smell also. But then all of our food started going bad at a rapid rate. Not fair! The new owners are not really into treating us like we're renters, so they said we should just go buy a new one ourselves that we could take with us. To make this story a bit shorter we found one for $100 on craigslist that has been working great! But as I sat there sanitizing it for the one millionth time I wondered if there would ever be a day that Richie and I would feel justified in buying a brand new appliance that I wouldn't have to pick a few bugs and hair out of before using it. TMI? Well, that was the reality.




Exhibit B

Over the summer we noticed a rather gamy smell coming from our closet. My first assumption was that Richie's shoes smelled extra bad. I was wrong. It was flooded. Something from the furnace wasn't working and was leaking water into our closet. It was a minor repair, and after a few days with fans going 24-7 all was well. Until this week when the carpet was soggy again. Still need to get it repaired. Ugh.



Exhibit C
One of the lights in our kitchen broke about a month ago. It's amazing what a difference one light can make. With it getting darker at night, I found myself cooking meals and cleaning in the twilight it seemed. Richie's no electrician so this repair took some prodding, nagging, threatening etc. It's finally fixed! I celebrated by doing a little dance in the well-lit-kitchen, and then doing some dishes. See above picture of the amazing 2 light kitchen!


Exhibit D

With a new one coming, the nesting bug is overpowering these days. I want a complete makeover of Mile's room. We'll see what our budget actually allows us to do. But yesterday my old dresser arrived all the way from St. George via my wonderful parents! In order to make room for the improvement, we decided to get rid of this old desk that was in the closet. Then I took it a step farther and decided to play the game, "We're hypothetically moving and I have to get rid of stuff to save space in the truck." I was ruthless. If I hadn't used it or worn it in the past year, it's gone. If I'm not going to use it in the next 2 years, it's gone. This is what I came up with. One measly box. Either we're very resourceful and use our things well, or I'm a hoarder.




Exhibits E, F, G...etc etc

Oh and yesterday I got 2 notices from different places saying I owed them money, which I don't and can prove with bank statements, and Miles threw up. How is that for reality? So just in case some of you thought I was leading a very glamorous life, this shows that I don't sit around and eat bon bons every day, only sometimes. :) For the most part my life is awesome and I eat my fair share of bon bons, life just gets in the way sometimes you know? Have a fantastic weekend! Here's to hoping there's something fun to post on Monday.

6 comments:

Makenna said...

That closet has PINK in it :) !!!! that is a happy thought any day of my week! yup, nothing post worthy on my end either, life goes on, and it seems we're just waiting for time to pass till its time to go to UT for Christmas :)

Becca said...

Oh yes, that is my reality too- just day to day activities. That might be part of the reason why I don't post as much as I used to either. I enjoyed yours though. :)

One Opinionated Housewife said...

Same with Becca. My posts would be boring and not worth the time it would take for anyone to read.
We have cleaned out virtually every closet and the garage over the past 3 weeks, but my pile of things to either throw away or give away was astronomically huge! I am especially excited to give you all of my baby clothes, mainly because I know that you will use them, but also because it freed up so much space.

Wii are the Nelsons said...

Fun fun - not really - sorry! Well today I messed up our washing machine again and it leaked all over. I'm doing the fans things too.
Hope Miles isn't too sick!

Wii are the Nelsons said...

Oh and I forgot to say Miles' closet looks great. Wonders what dress can do. I'm hoping we can get James' dresser out here someday or we can figure out when and where we're moving too next.

Grandma and Grandpa Crosby said...

YAY! Just think of it as a journal, and know that someday even your children will find it fascinating – what your days were/are like! I wish I had kept a journal when you were all young. Do I flatter myself to think that you would enjoy reading it now? Regardless, your blog is always of interest to me!

About the wet carpet in the closet; if it doesn't totally dry out quickly, you may have to pull up the carpet and replace the pad to avoid mold and mildew.....which are very unhealthy....and don't smell very good either. We learned the hard way!

September 2022

Benson turns 6! He requested a chocolate and strawberry cake where candy spills out of it. :) We went swimming at the rec center, Gwen made ...