Sunday, August 30, 2015

Homeschool retreat

We are a part of a great homeschool group. It's really a blessing to have this outlet where I feel like my kids (and myself) get that ever-important social interaction, and a place where someone else is teaching my kids; the burden is shared, and I don't feel like I'm solely responsible. It's a great relief. It's even better that I really enjoy the interactions I have with the moms. They are strong, smart women who are doing what they think is best for their children, and I feel like I have a lot to glean from watching them.
One of these moms lent us her family's cabin for a little retreat this past week; a sort of kick-off for the official school year. We braved taking ALL of our kids (17 in total) up without our husbands, and had a successful trip where my favorite part was watching my kids develop friendships with some great kids.


We went on a nature hike almost as soon as we got there. The kids had fun collecting all sorts of treasures in paper bags. We told them to find buddies (to help crowd control) and Gwen ran for Thomas. Remember that cute girl Ava that Miles has a crush on? Well Thomas is her little brother. Gwen has decided that because Miles has a crush on Ava, she will have a crush on Thomas. She was in heaven holding hands with her partner through most of the walk. I stopped them for a second and asked if I could take a picture of them. She let go of his hand and snuggled right into his shoulder. It was adorable. We found wild raspberries and picked the bush clean. We found a grasshopper that entertained the kids for at least 5 whole minutes, until someone squished it, and then lots of tears were shed. We found a beaver's dam, lots of moss and other such treasures, and then at the end of our walk, we played in the creek. I love watching them climb over rocks and tree trunks and getting dirty. It's so good for them and me. :) Miles stayed dry,Gwen gradually got soaked, but Lindy isn't the type to mess around. As soon as the creek was in sight, she waddled right on in and sat down. She was soaked from the beginning and loved it.



We decorated crowns and had a devotional about their divine worth. We played in the hot tub, played air hockey and fooz-ball, board games etc. The next day we went on a compass guided treasure hunt around the cabin, which was very exciting. On our way home, we stopped by the Camus fish hatchery and learned all about that process. Lindy wanted to jump right into those fish tanks too.


I'm grateful to be a part of the group and to learn right alongside the kids and moms. This year, we're focusing on history and using "The Story of the World" as our guide. The first SOTW book is all about the Ancients. Our first lesson will be on defining history, and archaeology, and nomads. It's at our house on Tuesday. Wish us luck!

1 comment:

Grandma and Grandpa Crosby said...

So fun! School was never that fun for me! Probably not for you either.

September 2022

Benson turns 6! He requested a chocolate and strawberry cake where candy spills out of it. :) We went swimming at the rec center, Gwen made ...