Friday, July 5, 2013

Celebrating

Our family turned 6 years old on the 26th of June. I've seen some other families include the whole family when it comes to celebrating anniversaries and I thought it was a fantastic idea. Miles likes keeping track of what celebration is happening next and he knew that our family birthday was coming right up. We had a coupon to the fine establishment of Denny's. We told Miles that we were going to a restaurant and he said, "Restaurant?". We don't go out to eat a lot. :) They felt so special and told our waitress it was our family's birthday. I love the kid's expressions in these pictures.


I really wish I would have taken pictures of just Richie and I when we went out on our date that weekend. We had been wanting some good sushi for a while, so we treated ourselves to some yummy sushi (that practically melted in your mouth, YUM), Japanese style beef, miso soup, and tempura bananas (which were decidedly not sweet enough). We took our time driving back to get the kids and I mentioned a little dessert cafe I see every time I go to the gym (ha!) and have been wanting to try, so he took me there. If I ever opened a dessert cafe, I'd want it to be like this one. An old house converted into a shop, full of little nooks where two people can feel alone, fun decor, full of sugar. Yup, it was good. I knew that Richie was still as in love with me as he was 6 years ago because he let me have the last bite of sushi. True love. Happy 6 years to our family!


I almost nearly forget Richie's birthday every year. Not that I haven't planned things and bought presents, but after our anniversary I think to myself, "I have until July to get things ready for Richie's birthday." While that is a true statement, July 2nd happens to be only 6 days after our anniversary, and it always catches me by surprise.
In early June, he requested a computer game for either Father's day or his birthday. This is totally not like him to ask for something like this. I was 100% confused, but bought it anyway. Since he always gets a book for Father's day, I stashed the game downstairs with other future presents. One night after coming home from the gym, I walk in and he's installing the game, and here it was, still weeks before this birthday. Long story short, that's the only present he got for his birthday so he had nothing to open from me on the big day. Then I had to get a little creative on festivities.
The day before, I had the kids help me hide little pieces of paper around the house, "28 reasons why I love you". The kids also helped him find them when he got home and had a blast. They helped me make a sign to go the front yard, I decorated his car so everyone at work would know it was his birthday (then I washed his car later in the day because he said it was embarrassing), we made him a cake and took it to him at work to share with his co-workers, and I made him his old favorite dinner from growing up (Sweet and Sour Chicken). His family made him a pie on Sunday and gave him lots of great tools which are greatly appreciated! I think he had a good day. Once again, I'm shocked at my lack of picture taking.

3 comments:

Adrienne said...

Loved how you celebrated your family birthday! But wow, Rach, you put me to shame when it comes to your husband's birthday! He is a lucky guy! Happy Belated Bday Richie! I love you guys!!!

Becca said...

Happy Anniversary and Happy Birthday to Richie! See you guys soon!

Grandma and Grandpa Crosby said...

I love that you included the children in your anniversary celebration, and call it your family birthday! I would like to go to your dessert cafe the next time we're up your way, and would also like to see (maybe play) the video game that Richie couldn't wait to use. Maybe you could bring it to Colorado?

September 2022

Benson turns 6! He requested a chocolate and strawberry cake where candy spills out of it. :) We went swimming at the rec center, Gwen made ...