Sunday, June 26, 2011

Growth

Today, Richie and I will celebrate our 4th anniversary! My parents, maternal grandparents and Richie's maternal grandparents will also be celebrating their anniversaries as well! Big day. We plan on making our will (very romantic, yes?) and last night we went out on a real live date and went out to eat at Outback Steakhouse! Woop Woop! (gift card that we've been saving courtesy of Richie's work- thank you very much) I should have taken a picture! If you haven't figured it out already, Richie and I are...frugal. Let's face it, we're pretty cheap. . I couldn't think of anything to make this year surprisingly. So I've opted to write a post for my sweetheart. He usually doesn't read the blog, so this will be something out of the ordinary and hopefully fun.

My dear-
Do you remember that time we were at your sister's wedding reception and a certain ex-girlfriend's mom was subtly trying to claw my eyes out?? (For lack of a better phrase.) She asked if me if I was good enough for you, and while I sat there dumbfounded with my mouth open, you heroically stepped in and told her that in the last year that you had known me, you had grown more than you had in your entire life. Well, I've been reflecting on the past 4 years since we got married and I wanted to share how much I've grown because of YOU, and remind you of how much we've accomplished together. We are a force to be reckoned with!!


Since June 26,2007 we have:

*Gotten sealed for time and all eternity
*Both graduated with our bachelor's degrees
*Had 2 children
*Moved 5 times
*Held 12 jobs between the two of us
*Bought 1 vehicle
*Accumulated ZERO debt
*Been in 4 different wards
*Held 7 different callings
*Traveled through UT, ID, WY, NE, IA, IL and TX

Because of you and the family we've created I have learned:
*How to make bread
*How to can some things
*Basic Gardening
*Minor Sewing skills
*How to effectively budget
*How to SWING DANCE!
*How to get a toddler out of a running car he's locked himself in
*Some pretty creative ways to cut an energy bill
*How to be a DI/thrift store shopping guru and decorator
*How to calm a crying child (mostly, just hand them to you :)
*How to Modge Podge
*Some sushi is de-dang-licious!
*How to paint a room
*my way around Eastern Idaho...kind of
*How to cut guy's hair!
*How to control a room of 25 6 year olds
*How to do a back flip on the tramp
*How to kiss ouchies better
*How to check the tire pressure and fill up the tires with air
*The anatomy of car brakes
*How to shave my legs while 9 months prego (you don't!)
*How to speak several dialects including husband, baby, and toddler
*How to help a migraine
*How to handle croup
*How to do an underdog
*How to play Frisbee golf!
*How to play Canasta
*That some people are downright dishonest and mean-hearted
*Likewise, some people are genuinely sweet and good.
etc etc etc etc etc


Together we have learned the value of:

*A Dollar
*A good ward
*Good friends
*Service going both ways
*A double stroller
*A mild climate
*Staying up late and talking to my best friend
*A hug after a long day
*Wonderful nursery teachers
*Paying your tithing
*A hotel after traveling for hours and hours
*Those who came before us, especially our parents

I wanted to find some of our engagement and wedding day pictures to post on here, but they're not on the computer and the prints are in storage. Nevertheless, enjoy this short walk down memory lane.

Shortly after engagement, visiting SG. Shaka.



Engaged. Right after end of the semester before I left for SG and you stayed in Rexburg. Aka, longest 3 months of our lives.


Coming for a visit in SLC


Just barely married, first camping trip!


First day of school our first semester being married. "I'm just a kid!"



First Christmas


Rach Gradumatated


Our "Hot" Picture.


Here comes Miles


Family of 3!


Richie Gradumatates!


Happy Family


Here comes Gwen!


Ta-Da! We're really good at making beautiful children, in case you haven't noticed.


Even Happier Family!


Most recent family pic



Thank you for helping me to become a better person. To paraphrase you 4.5 years ago, I have grown more in the past 4 years than I have throughout my entire life. I know I've told you this before, but I'm so glad I married my best friend. It makes this whole marriage thing so much better and easier. I'm especially glad that my best friend is a good-lookin, hard-workin man who pushes me to be better, but knows when to stop pushing me when I get annoyed and frustrated, and who loves me despite the extra baby weight hanging on and my hair changing colors mysteriously. :) You're my favorite. I love you (and the first wrinkles on your face full of "character"). Happy 4 years! Can't wait to see where we'll be in the next 4!
-Rach

9 comments:

Wii are the Nelsons said...

Happy Anniversary! Glad you were able to go on a date! What a fun letter to reflect on things you've done. I'd like to see that back flip on the trampoline! That's awesome!

Shelley said...

Yay!! I loved all the pictures! Happy anniversary! We just love you guys!

Laura Edwards said...

What a cute post! Happy anniversary! And I love the recent photo of all of you. You look beautiful, Chel-Ra!

Makenna said...

I think I got teary eyed. Not to mention I was completely aghast that the ex-girlfriend mom was that nasty . . . at my wedding. :( sorry about that!

Rachel, I'm glad it's you Rich married :) wouldn't have it any other way, period.

you guys are such a great example to me of growing in your marriage! You especially have undertaken many homemaking skills that are very intimidating. BRAVO!
Happy Anniversary!

Becca said...

Happy Anniversary! You guys are so cute and Yay for no debt!!

The Wallace Family said...

I loved this post! I really hope that Richie read it because it is wonderful! I'm really glad you guys married eachother, I've always been able to tell that you guys love eachother :) haha, and you do make beautiful children :)

Love,
Taysom

Grandma and Grandpa Crosby said...

It's an honor to share anniversaries with such a vibrant and dear couple! May you always be best friends and continue to learn and grow in your marriage!

Love, mom

The Wallace Family said...

Love this post! I hope Richie read it. What a fun photo montage.

Pili girl~ said...

Rich & Rach - I love you all heaps! Hope you know I think of you often!

September 2022

Benson turns 6! He requested a chocolate and strawberry cake where candy spills out of it. :) We went swimming at the rec center, Gwen made ...